New women's gear

Hunting Wife

Came across this article about some of the new offerings for women that were debuted at the SHOT show. Looks like some promising quality stuff finally coming!

http://www.outdoorlife.com/hottest-womens-hunting-gear-from-shot#page-3

Interesting perspective from Kuiu. As a woman with a husband who does fit into their target demographic, and as a wife who frequently purchases hunting gear as gifts for said husband, I know who I won't be buying his gifts from.

I love that First Lite came out with a womens puffy jacket. I'll be strongly encouraging my wife to be to buy one for herself, or I'll just buy it for her! My puffy was the best purchase of 2016.

And holy chit does Jason sound like a pompous ass! He seems to me like someone who like to hear himself talk and look at himself in the mirror. But what do I know?

Came across this article about some of the new offerings for women that were debuted at the SHOT show. Looks like some promising quality stuff finally coming!

http://www.outdoorlife.com/hottest-womens-hunting-gear-from-shot#page-3

Interesting perspective from Kuiu. As a woman with a husband who does fit into their target demographic, and as a wife who frequently purchases hunting gear as gifts for said husband, I know who I won't be buying his gifts from.
Sounds like he doesn't like me either. I'm fat! LOL. I guess I'll just have to be "aspirational" enough to my two sons to bring them up as hunters with a different brand of gear.

Wow, is Zach running for president in four years? Sounds like he has a good shot.

Thanks for posting this, its just in time for some birthday shopping.

HuntingWife, I had a chance to meet with the team from Sitka and discuss their womens line. I have to say i was not only impressed with the clothing itself but the effort that went into designing it and building it from a woman's point of view. They did not just make a smaller version of the men's line. They brought in many women to the team and simply asked them what they wanted. I can't remember every feature but one that specifically stuck out was on one of the pieces that had a facemask or collar that covered a portion of your face was lined with a softer material than a man's. Not that women are softer in any way shape or form but it simply made the garmet more comfortable. They can't put it on a man's due to our facial hair. It would have the opposite effect on us and be rather irritating. I only give this example to highlight the effort that went into their women's line. Being the father of two daughters that I'm bringing up to be hunters and outdoors women I am thrilled to see they will have every opportunity that their male counterparts will.

Here is a pick of the women's line and also one of ladies who helped the team (sporting the Subalpine vest).

DSC_0764.jpg

My wife and I were at the sheep show in Reno and she tried on some of Kryptecs women's line. Same issue as other brands inseam was too short on a size 4 and sleeves too short on jackets. They took measurements and spent about 30 minutes just asking her questions about what she likes and doesn't like. She got a new jacket and pants in the mail yesterday and she is very pleased with the fit. They were very intent building a women's line.

Jason says he doesn't make women's or fat guy stuff because he wants Kuiu to be an aspirational line. Does he want women to aspire to be men? Might say something about him if so.

Kuiu doesn't need women customers, as actual women hunters don't need kuiu gear. My wife wouldn't be caught dead hunting in a getup like these three stooges are sporting.....tamabuck1.jpgkuiu.jpg HasBRO action figures....

After having hunted for almost thirty years now, I'm sure she's comfortable leaving the Extreme Dude Sports to the extreme dudes.

HasBRO action figures....
Hahahahaha! That's a good one. I agree with you - Kuiu and women hunters will be just fine without each other. And judging from that picture, we have dodged a bullet there! 😀

Nice to hear from some of you that have actually seen some of these lines. I haven't had an opportunity to see any of this stuff so can only go by what little I've read.

Kuiu should be careful with what they wish others to aspire to. Most women hunters have bigger balls than most men that I know. I'll have to remember to dump their catalogs at my sportsmen's club tomorrow night when I go shoot leagues.

I'm totally digging the Sitka and First Light gear. I just need to decide on something before I spend my cash.

About four or five years ago, I contacted Sitka about creating a women's line. I was bluntly told it was too much trouble to get women's sizing figured out and they had no plans to add a women's line. I was thinking to myself-there are short guys, tall guys, skinny guys, short torso well... you get the picture. I tried all the women's clothes. Every time a new "women's" line came out, I would go and look and try it on and get disgusted. We need big pockets for our rangefinders, cell phones, satelite communicators, and gps devices. I am usually solo hunting, and don't have my husband leading the way carrying all those items and telling me when, where, and what to shoot. So I was not happy with Sitka, or Kifaru, or Kuiu for their refusal to outfit women.
I found out about First Lite about three years ago, and now own a considerable amount of their merino wool base layers. I love their Syringa merino wool shorts (undies) so much, that I tell everyone about them! This year I bought my first pair of Altura women's light weight hunting pants, and they are awesome! Perfect fit, perfect pockets, no pink or purple flowers of antlers-just well thought out pants. Can't wait to slowly add to my collection! I will promote them to all my friends and my FB women's hunting group. In the years between being rebuffed by Sitka and discovering First Lite, I did finally try on some Sitka, and discovered the only downside was sleeves too long, and knee pads too far down. But I love my Timberline pants for scrambling on mountains and crawling through prickly plants while antelope hunting! Hint hint First Lite-built in sleeves with knee pads and a double thick tough fabric on the seat of the pants would be cool!
One thing I did hear was that Sitka was only going to market their women's line through one large outdoor store/internet retailer. That concerns me a great deal. We will see how that works out.
#FirstLiteMyFirstChoice!

Back