Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Don't you love packing out an Elk?

I cant say ive ever actually enjoyed packing an elk out on my back. Its part of the game though. It was no big deal in my 20s, I delt with it in my 30s, as I worked my way through my 40s I certainly gave serious "thought" to where I was before pulling the trigger or releasing the arrow. Then I got smart and made friends with people who think horses are big dogs. Now I actually look forward to getting one out.

To tell you the truth, I don't think I will ever think of a pack out too be "bad" or "dandy" really persay.... There all an somewhat enjoyable experience, I have no complaints, it's the mix of the outdoors, hunting, blood, and sweat. All great things when put together. For the newbie's, I live by this advice, just keep on putting one foot in front of the other, at some point you will be done, don't give up. Every successful hunter know's that's what it takes too be successful, keep those words in your head as your packing that elk, deer, bear, moose, sheep, goat, or whatever your packing. You'll get there and be damn proud of it too. Here are a couple highlights of the last couple.....
Matt

This hunt wasn't too bad with the goats, but still 18 miles is 18 miles in a day......
IMG_0472.jpg

This pack out was brutal, I was solo, he died in a terrible spot, plus it was near straight up about 80 yards too a trail, than another .6 miles 1 way too the road, it wasn't real far but super steep.....
000_0195.jpg

And well this buck was worth all the sweat and sore legs, I'd do it again everyday if I could... 9.6 miles round trip...
IMG_1264.jpg

Only one Elk pack out for me. 2 miles, mostly downhill, with 3 friends to help. Big smile on my face the whole time.

I enjoy the privilege of packing out an elk. Yeah it's hard work but that's part of the reward. My hunting partner and I each take 1/2 the elk and just keep marching until we make the trailhead. a few times the sun beats us up before we make it out. All part of the fun.

I have a hard enough time finding where to kill an elk. Maybe in another 20 years ill start thinking about where NOT to kill an elk.

Packing out an elk is a lot better than the alternative of not getting one.

I've had some "easy" packouts and some "hard" packouts. The hard ones tend to be the ones I remember and tell stories about after the fact.

I'm getting too old for this chit.

This thought occurs quite frequently when I'm about half done with the packout. The older I get the more I like them in an opportunistic spot...

A trio of "memory makers" from 2016. I'm getting too old for this chit.

One foolish nighttime trip with all our production gear over five miles of footballs hidden in knee-high grass. How we exited without serious injury (other than to cameras) is a mystery.

If nothing else, these images of Type 2 fun will serve me well next year as I sit in my rocker, sipping coffee, spinning yarns of what used to be.

You need to add a WPM (Wilderness Pack Mule) position to your production staff. That way there is no learning curve, related to any production activities. LOL

Job Description:
Carry heavy stuff on your back
Don't complain

Qualifications:
Can carry heavy stuff on your back
Doesn't like to complain

Benefits:
Telling your friends how much heavy stuff you carried on your back and that you liked it.

I like JR's plan Fin. A movie star like yourself shouldn't be expected to do that type of grunt work.

Two guys, one elk and one trip. Twice in two years as well as a solo mule deer pack down a steep draw 2 miles to the truck. I'm still young so it only hurts till it quits, but I still love to look back and think about those terrible pack outs. Many other packouts mixed in there as well. They make for good laughs later after the pain goes away!

Attachments

• deer 2015.jpg
    deer 2015.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 882
  • elk 2015.jpg
    elk 2015.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 880
  • ZH elk 2016.jpg
    ZH elk 2016.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 884
My first successful archery hunt, I killed a cow 3 miles from the road mid-morning, just off a decent trail and we finished the pack-out late that night. The next day my buddy shot a bull 4 miles from the road near the same trail. The third day, we packed that one out in the rain (which made the trail into that super sticky muck), in the dark. We were wet, cold, tired and we had smiles on our faces the whole time :D
DSC02087.jpg

That last trip out is definitely the sweetest. That is until you decide to load up 2 boned out front shoulders, straps, loins, and trim to go along with the head. I made the decision that I wasn't going back into that hell hole for a fourth time... That one will be burned into my memory for a long time.
elk4.jpg

Dillon has 20 yrs on me....I better just hunt smarter,not quiting solo hunting yet.
Woke up dreaming of the many secret spots I know near a road in one of my hopeful elk draw units.

I've never had the possibility to pack out an elk yet, if the opportunity came up i'd help. I have packed out a couple moose from some of the marshiest/peat bogs ive ever seen. Maybe i'll get one of the Ontario elk tags this year LMAO

KIMG0045.jpg

My first bull, three of us made the pack out 2 miles in one trip. tired and sore when we got back to the truck, but oh so worth it.

It is interesting. Just like I have "field photos" of all the elk that I've killed. I have a "packout photo" of all the elk that I've killed.

I also have a few extra "packout photos" of elk that I didn't kill. Does that mean that I like packing elk out more than I like killing them? :confused:

Still my favorite packout photo. My biggest bull by far but also the shortest packout. It wasn't all on the road, trust me. (But the shadow on the road made a good picture).

packout_shadow.jpg

Most of my successful elk hunting trips/pack-outs have been solo trips. I was literally brought to tears one time after I finished my last solo pack load out of a bull I killed in a hell-hole old growth canyon in the Oregon coast range. The beautiful thing about packing out elk, especially tough pack outs, is that after the season is over and the months roll by, the memories of the pain you endured seem to dissipate, and you tend to remember the feelings of joy and euphoria over the successful hunt much more. At least that's what I keep telling myself, ha ha.

sked.jpg

Any of you ever used anything like this? I haven't had the pleasure of packing out a elk, only deer and antelope from lower elevation drainages and buttes.

We use them in the Military for rescue in that kind of country and for prepping for Air lift. I weigh in at 230lbs and have pulled and been pulled in these in some pretty interesting terrain. On Snow they are awesome because it holds the load tight, on gravel and rocks it pulls OK as long as your not the one in it. Uphill pulls work best with a pulley and anchor but can be done by 2 people. Down hill is just try and hold on...

sked pull.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back