Don't you love packing out an Elk?

Last load of my 2016 bull. I had to turn antlers up for two reasons; 56" main beams and I'm only 5' 6". I relented and used some child labor(grandsons) who each took a backstop and a tender loin! Lucky to have a friend help out, two trips with meat, one with skull.

Just got tooth aging back; 12.5 years old.

unnamed-9.jpg DSC02076 (1).jpg DSC02025.jpg

Last edited:
JM, you are making some awesome memories for your little helpers. Great bull too!

There's that youngster Randy. ( I can say that, as he is compared to me!) he does look like he's defying the gravitational pull in his pics here though!
At least he can make a living doing this! Hahahahaha

At 57 with a bad back, bad knees, bad foot & a pacemaker I'm more aware of the packing out issue as ever. Most of my hunts are solo. I've packed out four myself, but none too far. The last one was 6 miles backpacked into a wilderness area and I was able to locate a guy to take it out on a horse for $300. That worked out great. Since then one of my priorities is locating horses in advance wherever I'm hunting. I typically get a list of 3 or 4 who can communicate via text message. My inReach device can text via satellite and specify GPS coordinates. I plan to do the same this year because all the roads are up on top in the elk unit I'll likely draw.

DSCN0092.jpgDSCN0094.jpgDSCN0059.jpg A little over 1 mile out, almost all down hill. One load of straps and tenders went out on back. Cart was great, just hold on going down hill. Once put a whole 5 point on a cart also for a downhill trek. They will hold em but it can be an adventure.

Suggestion for you foot soldiers, I was given a great piece of gear last year. It's called "pack out bag", think newspaper delivery bag. The website is packoutbags.com. Took a cow out in 2 trips and Muley buck in 1 (both bone in). It has straps to tighten the load in the bags and tighten the bags to you. Load it equal front and back and 80#'s in this is manageable. I recommend using some trekking poles since your hands are free. 2 animals out with it and I'm a believer.

I killed an elk in the Weimenuche Wilderness in Colorado. We were 5 miles in over the continental divide. We had horses, and I can't imagine having to hike over that pass with all that on my back without those horses.

I was able help haul out the first two elk I ever have this year. One guy that I had never met and he was having a hard time with a cow and a buddy who had never been hunting that I took second rifle and got him his first cow.

Besides that I was definitely proud to haul out my first mule deer.

The wife and I have been doing some hiking recently. I think tomorrow I'll throw on a 40 or so pound pack. I always thought I was in decent shape until my first weekend in Colorado. I had to stop less than a mile up a trail to catch my breath. The mountains still humble me but I've never been a quitter so I trudge on.

My youngest brother shot a bull way up above a large burn about 15 years ago. We had about 3/4 mile down through the burn and then about 1.5 miles on the level(if you can call it that). My dad, myself, my brother, my nephew and my daughter brought it down in 1 trip.
There were trees laying sideways on the ground, some were 2' off the ground. Some were higher still. Some still had limbs on them, most were just burned clean. We were ALWAYS going over or under as we inched our way down that hill. I said some things I'm not proud of.
There were 5 of us on that hill, not including the elk. I am the only one that ever went back. Probably been there a half dozen times since then, usually alone or with my wife. Anything we see above that G&$-%#€n burn gets a free pass.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back