Grinding burger??

Same here. I think mine is 20% fat. Suet was a pain in the butt for me.
I do the same. Cheapest burger I can buy then mix it in 5-10% by weight. I just watched an episode of Meateater where Rinella mixed in straight pork fat that he got for free from a local butcher. I thought it sounded like a pretty good idea and hope to give it a try this next year and compare it side by side with a normally do to see the difference in consistency and taste.

Some one whoe does a lot of grinding told me to use 20% pork loin which I have in the past and it worked fine
Along the same lines, and I apologize for a possible hijack here. But due to time constraints I ended up freezing the trimmings that are intended for hamburger.
My understanding on meat is once you thaw the meat you need to use it. Does that leave my only option to thawing the trimmings, then grinding and grilling?
I agree with what others have said. I have had to freeze meat and then thaw it to butcher, only to refreeze after I was finished. It didn't appear to hurt the quality any. Matter of fact, I froze three quarters of an elk this year, because I didnt have time to butcher them right away. Over the next two weeks I would pull one out and work on it as I had time. It was some of the most tender meat we have had in a while. I know Steve Rinella's brother won't touch moose meat until it has been frozen for over a year, because he says it makes it more tender.

All straight up for me, 1 lb of ground and I double wrap it with plastic wrap and then a wrap with freezer paper. When i'm going to make burgers or something I will thaw it a little and put it back through the grinder, usually with some smoked bacon when I am making burgers. Extruded jerky, tacos etc are all straight up.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back