Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

ID Unit 39 Rifle Elk

Maxxis31

Hey guys. I've been hunting the late ID deer hunt for a couple years now and next year I am planning on doing the "B" tag elk hunt. I am trying to find a OTC elk hunt where we can find decent bulls so that I have a place to bring my boys in a couple years when they are old enough to hunt elk. My oldest is 10 and will be 11 this summer so he should be able to join in 2018. Here at home they only really only have 1 guaranteed chance of drawing a branch bull tag before they are adults. I grew up hunting out of an elk camp every year with my dad and grandparents here in North East Oregon and unfortantly here in Oregon the only thing we can do is hunt spikes or apply for cow tags which would make it to where we could never draw branch bull tags.

I plan on hopefully bringing dad along this year to find a good spot and the boys next year if we are successful. I would like to find a spot in 39 so I don't have to move camp for the late deer hunt. We are willing and able to put on several miles a day I normally hunt up into the roadless areas here in Oregon and take the family backpacking at least once during the summer for a several day trip.

Any advice on areas to check out, tips or tactics would be very much appreciated. We have been hunting elk for a long time here in Oregon and have done well but the last 10 years or so we haven't set up elk camp but two times and my boys have never been. This is something I loved growing up and want to be able to carry on the tradition for my kids.

Thanks in Advance,
Curtis

IMG_6957.jpg

I haven't hunted 39 or have any info on that. However if you've been getting the boys youth mentor points there is no reason you can't hunt imnaha branch bull at least 3 times before they grow up and move off to college etc. My party seems to draw the bull tag every 3-4 years on average.

Thanks, I have a friend who hunts Imnaha for elk and I have deer hunted it. I do get them youth points and will hunt some here in OR and they will archery hunt with me also. I'm looking at Nov. in ID because my dad runs an asphalt hot plant and isn't free until late Oct. or Early Nov. I really want to be able to have them enjoy a yearly elk hunt with the whole family too.

I haven't hunted 39 or have any info on that. However if you've been getting the boys youth mentor points there is no reason you can't hunt imnaha branch bull at least 3 times before they grow up and move off to college etc. My party seems to draw the bull tag every 3-4 years on average.

If you hunted deer around the reservoirs (lucky, arrowrock) during late archery it will be a slightly tough proposition in my opinion. The bulk of the elk tend to be higher and further east the first week of November in unit 39, in my experience.

There are a few little elk holes in 39 around 3500-5500 feet, not far from the reservoirs, but those are tough to find and people will be reluctant to share. If you are okay with 20-30 mile drives in the morning and evening you won't need to move camp.

There are a number of units in North Idaho that offer late season OTC mule deer or whitetail, no draw needed. I've seen some nice bucks come out of those areas.

Opening morning Unit 39 Elk.

Crying_Matt.gif

Thanks guys, I am not too worried about the other hunters or getting shot. I grew up hunting OTC in NE Oregon which is as crowded as it gets with all the east side hunter coming over here, I have learned over the years that it isn't that hard to separate yourself from the crowds with a little effort. From what i have seen on the Late Archery hunt there are still plenty of elk in the areas i've hunted on Nov 10th. Maybe it will be a bust but i feel like if we put in enough effort we should find something to kill, we will be hunting this year with a Seek Outside Cimmaron and Ti stove and the plan is to get at least a couple miles in off the roads and/or trails. If i did the math right there are 1,392,656 acres in unit 39 and close to 4K people who hunt it, that means there is 350 acres per person hunting so even if every person with a tag is out hunting at the same time there should be plenty of ground to hunt. I would imagine the guys who get more than a half mile from their vehicles are significantly less.

I realize it is going to be a harder hunt but IMO that just means more reward if i kill a decent bull. Part of my strategy is that i will learn better/more mule deer spots for the late archery hunt while hunting elk and vise versa and after several years i will have a ton of time in the field and should have a good idea where to find both. I really appreciate the P.M.'s and comments i have received and am taking it all in, it is a long time until elk season and the more i can research and learn before my boots hit the ground the sooner i will be into elk country. I am in no means looking for a hand out here but past experiences and knowledge go a long ways.

Thanks again,
Curtis

Well said Curtis. I've hunted 39 for deer during gun season, it's not hard to lose most of the people. Some caution is always advised, but it's not like "saving private ryan"

Unit 39 is deffinatly elk territory, I have been up in that area since before I could walk, the unit is mostly steep with lots of brush, if you do go past arrowrock I would suggest going well past the mouth of the river and be prepared to walk a few miles in.

As far as for deer hunting that unit it takes a lot of patients and a keen i, I say that because once the hunting pressure is on, they can be very slippery.

That has been my experience anyways.
Best of luck to you

Tttt, howd it go?

I never ended up going on this hunt. Maybe someday? I have deer hunted it twice since then and have seen a pile of elk in late Oct. and after the 10th of Nov. so I'm sure they would be in those same areas the first week of November. I think I may switch gears and if I end up elk hunting ID it will be with a bow down on the southern border where I feel more comfortable running around Solo. I did end up missing a dandy muley this fall in 39 up by Atlanta, couldn't believe there were even deer there, they were defiantly outnumbered 10:1 by hunters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back