Decisions decisions

MJE2083

I'm thinking about trying to pick up a Rem 700 ADL varmint from Cabelas. They're going to be on sale for $350. I don't really need one but for that price the action alone is worth it to me. My only decision is to choose between a .308 win or a 22-250. I'm leaning towards the 308 because my wife already has a 700 varmint in .223 and a ruger No.1 in 220 swift so a 22-250 seems pointless to me. I probably would not deer hunt with the gun much due to the heavy barrel. I would mostly be target shooting as well as the occasional varmint hunt. Give me your thoughts?

That's a great deal !! I checked my local Cabelas and they are listed at $499. Is that $350 only at your Cabelas? When does the sale start? I would personally go with the .308

Is that a local store sale only? A 700 for 350 bucks is going home with me no matter the chambering. mtmuley

It was in the sale flyer I got here in PA today. I think the sale starts next week (thurs.) and there is some mail in rebate I think you have to send in to get the $350 price. (I double checked the flyer and it says Regular $499 - $75 instant savings - $75 mail in rebate = $349.99) I think they go pretty quick because its such a good deal and must be an exclusive made for cabelas, my wife really wanted a .223 a few years ago but we showed up a few days after the sale started and the clerk said they all sold pretty quick. From what I understand they're pretty bare bones, cheap stock/non-adjustable trigger but like I said the action alone I think is worth it. I would probably see how it shoots and maybe look to upgrade stock and trigger in the future. I figure with a .308 I could probably also have it rebarreled fairly easily to 7mm HT or 260rem in the future if I wanted to.

Last edited:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVA...egoryId=734095080&CQ_search=savage+12&CQ_st=b

They had these on sale a while back for $389. I got one in .223 because I already had a .22-250 and .204. I have yet to shoot it, but for below $400, what's the better gun? No trying to be smart......really asking.

Funny you mention that, but those are ALSO in the sales flyer I got and they will be going on sale for $319.99 ($100 off retail price) which I also feel is a really great deal. However, to answer your question, I'm just really not a savage guy. I know they're accurate and the accutrigger is cool but I'm just not a fan and I can't really tell you why. If I'm unable to get my hands on the Remington maybe I'll take a Savage instead and be converted...we will see.

Last edited:
If the 22-250 is twisted 9" or faster, I'd go that route for for sure. Probably still would if it's the slower, traditional twist. Less recoil, less cost for target shooting and varmints.

I used to be a Remington guy, then I came to my senses. I used to hate Salvages as well.........but if I pull the trigger and what I'm aiming at gets hit.......then how can I complain?

Where's this add ya'll speak of?

I love a good Remington as much as anyone, but personally I'd buy that Savage in .308 if I were thinking about swapping barrels anyways. The barrel swap with a savage can be done without a gunsmith and a few basic tools. I'd buy a nice prefit match savage barrel (shilen etc.) and drop it in a new stock...

Last edited:
Since your question was about caliber choice, I'd go with the 22-250 for varmints if its to be a dedicated varmint gun.

Oh ya.........whatever you get....get the .22-250

It's my all-time fave to shoot.

You guys are really making this tough. I think I'm still leaning towards the .308. I already have several other varmint rifles in 223, a 220swift, and 17HMR. I don't think I really need another varmint caliber. If I didn't have the swift already I'd probably be more inclined to get the 22-250.

If you aren't hunting deer with it, then why do you want a .308? If you are varnint hunting with it and it's a heavy barrel then get a varmint round.

Just get the Remington in .22-250 and the savage in .204. Why? Just because.

Some of you will be happy to know that I trekked 2 hours to Cabelas today and compared the two rifles in question. Against my previous judgement I went with the Savage 12 FV in .308. After giving it much consideration my decision came down to the fact that not only was the Savage cheaper ($320 vs $350[after mail in rebate]) but also had the accutrigger. The Remington ADL was advertised with the newer Xmark trigger but upon inspection is was not the same user-adjustable Xmark that is now standard on most other Remington rifles. So I figured after a new trigger I would probably be $150+ more into the Remington and decided to go with the Savage instead. I also suprisingly liked the feel of the Savage action better (and so did my wife who is a big Remington fan) although the gun I actually took home doesn't seem quite as smooth as the display model I tested. I'm excited to shoot it and maybe finally be "sold" on these new Savage rifles.

I must also mention the buying experience at Cabelas in Hamburg, PA was awful (at least today). All in all from the time I walked in the door to the time I left with my rifle was over 3 hours. I don't know what possibly takes them so long (after I waited 45mins just for a salesman to wait on me) other than just pure volume of sales. Even on a weekday afternoon there was dozens of people buying firearms.

Last edited:
The longer you stay in the store, the more you buy. I won't shop at Calebs unless it's the last resort.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back