Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. Default Wyoming DIY deer

    Looking to head to Wyoming this fall for the first time. Will be my first trip west. Hoping for a little feedback as to hunt options for mule deer and pronghorn. I know without preference points my draw options are very limited and I don't expect anyone to point me to a specific unit. I don't have the expectation of killing a 180 class deer but hope that a shot at a decent 4 by 4 buck isnt out of the question. Been researching sources such as Eastmans on draw odds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys!

  2. #2

    Default

    I have drew Region W twice with no pref points and had a great hunt.Nice Mule deer bucks taken every year in W. I always draw doe antelope tags for the last few years as I am 64 years old and shot lots of nice bucks ,so I leave them for the other hunters.

  3. Default

    Awesome. My biggest fear is drawing an easy to draw unit and seeing nothing but hunters. Long ways from NC. Im completely dedicated to walking the extra mile and going where other aren't willing to go. Hope for the antelope tag as a bonus or backup plan while hunting for deer

  4. Default

    My father hunted several western States in the 1970's with great success. I have a mule deer he killed that grosses about 185. But I know much has changed since then.

  5. #5

    Default

    Some of the larger bucks are taken in the last few days of the season.Hunt the last half and avoid alt of other hunters.

  6. Default

    Thanks Rooster52

  7. #7

    Default

    Is there any particular reason you are choosing Wyoming? Don't get me wrong, I love Wyoming, but with no points I'd be considering Montana, too. Whatever you choose, good luck!

  8. Default

    Just thinking Wyoming may have the best mix of public land, numbers or deer, and hunter success. But I'm open to suggestions.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Timberville, VA
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    There's always the trespass fee option for easier to draw regions.
    Self proclaimed Founder, President, and Spiritual Leader of the I.S.V.F......Introduce Speedgoats to Virginia Foundation

  10. Default

    I assume Wyoming has that option also?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Timberville, VA
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    You'll have to call the chamber of commerce in the counties you are thinking about and get a landowner list. Sometimes they are old so don't get frustrated. It will add some cost but it's an alternative worth thinking about. Also the special draw is something to consider if you have no points. That may get you into a descent region with public land for maybe a little less money than a trespass fee.
    Self proclaimed Founder, President, and Spiritual Leader of the I.S.V.F......Introduce Speedgoats to Virginia Foundation

  12. Default

    I had pretty much planned on the special draw to up my odds. Am I better off with a general region or looking for a limited quota unit. I know most the regions exclude the best units according to what I've seen. I've looked into the first choice/second choice option to roll over a preference point to next year

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Timberville, VA
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Hard to say what is better in my opinion. If you get some descent info on an area just go with it. Some of the limited quota hunts are to prevent over hunting not necesarily that they are better units. Talk with Al Langston with game and fish. Tell him your goals, type of terrain and he'll point you in the right direction. Then you can start narrowing things down. He was a great help to me.
    Self proclaimed Founder, President, and Spiritual Leader of the I.S.V.F......Introduce Speedgoats to Virginia Foundation

  14. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 338 win mag View Post
    Just thinking Wyoming may have the best mix of public land, numbers or deer, and hunter success. But I'm open to suggestions.
    For this I would pick Montana , go around nov 10-20 or in there and u will hit rut perfect

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Andover, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 338 win mag View Post
    Awesome. My biggest fear is drawing an easy to draw unit and seeing nothing but hunters. Long ways from NC. Im completely dedicated to walking the extra mile and going where other aren't willing to go. Hope for the antelope tag as a bonus or backup plan while hunting for deer
    Your biggest concern going into most of the easy to draw regions should be access. Make sure you have a really dialed in plan for how you are going to get access, as most of these units have a lot of tags left over, not because the trophy quality is bad, but because they consist of largely private land.
    “The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” - Jack London

  16. Default

    I guess I need to study land ownership maps carefully and plan accordingly

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Andover, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,612

    Default

    There are great tools out there, but it takes some research. I have killed some nice deer on leftover tags in WY, it just took some time and effort to ferret them out.

    Mytopo has maps with unit and public land boundaries. They can be a great resource to try and start your research. Just be mindful that some units have a fair amount of landlocked public, so you need to figure out whether or not it is really accessible. The southern part of Region Y is a great example of this.
    “The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” - Jack London

  18. Default

    Thanks for the advice guys! Seriously considering putting in for a general take instead of limited quota

  19. Default

    Have you thought about doe antelope? Great back up tag and fairly easy animal to hunt. Out of 4 years I've only been skunked once on a doe tag. Of course this depends on the Unit you apply for. I hunt the western side of WY as it is within a days drive for me.

  20. #20

    Default

    If you haven't already, use the WYGF hunt planner map. It's tremendously helpful for assessing land ownership, draw odds, harvest info, hunter numbers etc. It's a great resource.

    https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Pl...nresident-Map/

  21. Default

    Kinda looking mainly for deer, possibly antelope for a bonus. Looked into region Williams which I guess are many units 82, 100, and 131. Just don't know what to expect as far as hunting pressure. Don't mind walking a long distance but it's hard to out walk hunters on ATVs

  22. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Power54 View Post
    If you haven't already, use the WYGF hunt planner map. It's tremendously helpful for assessing land ownership, draw odds, harvest info, hunter numbers etc. It's a great resource.

    https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Pl...nresident-Map/
    I have looked on there. I also have looked at the go hunt insider as well as Eastmans MRS

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Central, IN (the corn belt)
    Posts
    421

    Default

    I probably hunted 10 times in region C. Always drew NR tags and always killed deer. Never killed any real monsters, but had a bunch of fun.
    My preference is to hunt the last 5 days of season, rather than the first. Yes, many of the deer have been knocked off, but the hunters had cleared out and we had the country mostly to ourselves.

    Guys that live in the west will say an area is crowded and there's not much public land in some areas, and compared to what some of them are used to, they are correct. However if you come from the east or mid-west where a 200 acre farm is a big patch and you have 15 hunters per square mile on opening day, you will very impressed with how much wide open, un-hunted space there is. Buy the maps and understand the regs and you will see that all of Wyoming has a sh!tload of public ground that is wide open and free for you to hunt on. Good luck !

  24. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steiny View Post
    I probably hunted 10 times in region C. Always drew NR tags and always killed deer. Never killed any real monsters, but had a bunch of fun.
    My preference is to hunt the last 5 days of season, rather than the first. Yes, many of the deer have been knocked off, but the hunters had cleared out and we had the country mostly to ourselves.

    Guys that live in the west will say an area is crowded and there's not much public land in some areas, and compared to what some of them are used to, they are correct. However if you come from the east or mid-west where a 200 acre farm is a big patch and you have 15 hunters per square mile on opening day, you will very impressed with how much wide open, un-hunted space there is. Buy the maps and understand the regs and you will see that all of Wyoming has a sh!tload of public ground that is wide open and free for you to hunt on. Good luck !


    Thanks! I am looking at a couple of limited quota areas as a first choice and maybe a region W if that doesn't look promising. Even in the heavily hunted areas I've researched, harvest percentage doesn't look to bad. I'm sure a lot of the pressure is on opening day from the weekend warriors.

  25. #25

    Default

    Your atv pressure will be on roads so just get away from them. Opening weekend is a toss-up, more pressure and first crack at the deer. I would come out during the week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •