Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming DIY deer

338 win mag

Looking to head to Wyoming this fall for the first time. Will be my first trip west. Hoping for a little feedback as to hunt options for mule deer and pronghorn. I know without preference points my draw options are very limited and I don't expect anyone to point me to a specific unit. I don't have the expectation of killing a 180 class deer but hope that a shot at a decent 4 by 4 buck isnt out of the question. Been researching sources such as Eastmans on draw odds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys!

I have drew Region W twice with no pref points and had a great hunt.Nice Mule deer bucks taken every year in W. I always draw doe antelope tags for the last few years as I am 64 years old and shot lots of nice bucks ,so I leave them for the other hunters.

Awesome. My biggest fear is drawing an easy to draw unit and seeing nothing but hunters. Long ways from NC. Im completely dedicated to walking the extra mile and going where other aren't willing to go. Hope for the antelope tag as a bonus or backup plan while hunting for deer

My father hunted several western States in the 1970's with great success. I have a mule deer he killed that grosses about 185. But I know much has changed since then.

Some of the larger bucks are taken in the last few days of the season.Hunt the last half and avoid alt of other hunters.

Is there any particular reason you are choosing Wyoming? Don't get me wrong, I love Wyoming, but with no points I'd be considering Montana, too. Whatever you choose, good luck!

Just thinking Wyoming may have the best mix of public land, numbers or deer, and hunter success. But I'm open to suggestions.

You'll have to call the chamber of commerce in the counties you are thinking about and get a landowner list. Sometimes they are old so don't get frustrated. It will add some cost but it's an alternative worth thinking about. Also the special draw is something to consider if you have no points. That may get you into a descent region with public land for maybe a little less money than a trespass fee.

I had pretty much planned on the special draw to up my odds. Am I better off with a general region or looking for a limited quota unit. I know most the regions exclude the best units according to what I've seen. I've looked into the first choice/second choice option to roll over a preference point to next year

Hard to say what is better in my opinion. If you get some descent info on an area just go with it. Some of the limited quota hunts are to prevent over hunting not necesarily that they are better units. Talk with Al Langston with game and fish. Tell him your goals, type of terrain and he'll point you in the right direction. Then you can start narrowing things down. He was a great help to me.

Just thinking Wyoming may have the best mix of public land, numbers or deer, and hunter success. But I'm open to suggestions.

For this I would pick Montana , go around nov 10-20 or in there and u will hit rut perfect

Awesome. My biggest fear is drawing an easy to draw unit and seeing nothing but hunters. Long ways from NC. Im completely dedicated to walking the extra mile and going where other aren't willing to go. Hope for the antelope tag as a bonus or backup plan while hunting for deer

Your biggest concern going into most of the easy to draw regions should be access. Make sure you have a really dialed in plan for how you are going to get access, as most of these units have a lot of tags left over, not because the trophy quality is bad, but because they consist of largely private land.

I guess I need to study land ownership maps carefully and plan accordingly

There are great tools out there, but it takes some research. I have killed some nice deer on leftover tags in WY, it just took some time and effort to ferret them out.

Mytopo has maps with unit and public land boundaries. They can be a great resource to try and start your research. Just be mindful that some units have a fair amount of landlocked public, so you need to figure out whether or not it is really accessible. The southern part of Region Y is a great example of this.

Thanks for the advice guys! Seriously considering putting in for a general take instead of limited quota

Have you thought about doe antelope? Great back up tag and fairly easy animal to hunt. Out of 4 years I've only been skunked once on a doe tag. Of course this depends on the Unit you apply for. I hunt the western side of WY as it is within a days drive for me.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back