YouTube Episode - Arizona Mearns' Quail

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
With SBHooper posting his story of Arizona quail, I guess today is officially Arizona quail day here on Hunt Talk. We had hoped to post this earlier in the week, but getting final approval from me and other parties involved is never as expedient as one hopes.

Below is a YouTube episode of the Mearns' quail hunting we did in Arizona last month. You will recognize a couple of the characters, Uncle Larry and Jerry Pritchard. The other hunter, Wade Zarlingo is a college buddy from my days of debauchery at ASU. While I spent days chasing Coues deer, they were out leveraging the instincts of Wade's amazng Pudelpointer, Shilo.

This is a bit of an experiment, in many ways. It is our first attempt at filming upland birds. It is edited in a different style to try accommodate what we are learning about YouTube viewing. It is an effort to see how much Randy actually has to be in the content, with me only being involved in Day 3.

[video=youtube_share;-8ihgD0sPtM]https://youtu.be/-8ihgD0sPtM[/video]

I hope video can capture 10% of the essence of this hunt. It is a remarkable hunt on an amazing landscape, much of which is public land. If you are already investing in a non-resident Arizona hunting license, this is just one more way to gain benefit from that investment.

Thanks for watching. Interested in any constructive feedback.

Great friends, great dog work, great landscapes......a wonderful adventure well documented.

PS: big fan of the long views from day two, and the bleeping of frustration swearing is funny........cheeky little buggars!

Last edited:
Great video Randy! It's tough to convey the upland hunting experience on TV, but you and your crew did a better job than I've seen in a while. Keep it up!!!

Terrific video. I have hunted scaled quail and gambles no to far from there and have never seen the habitat look so good. The only thing that detracted from the video for me was that a handful of times it looked like that dog might get greased. I imagine it was more camera angle than hunters angle. Beautiful pup.

Thanks.

Subjected myself to a 4 minute Lady Gaga ad so y'all would get the revenue :p It was painful but that's the kind of guy I am.

Great episode! I appreciate the high production value. I like the fact that the guys in your shows seem like people I would enjoy spending a day in the woods with. Never watched a show where I didn't learn something. Keep up the good work!

Looked a bit like you had the boys over at Montana Wild produce it. Not a bad thing I really enjoy their stuff (as long as they follow the rules).

That was a great video Randy. Watching that has moved a Mearn's quail hunt up pretty high on my bucket list.

I noticed you guys stayed at a motel. Would you be concerned with leaving a wall tent camp unattended during the day in that area?

That was a great video Randy. Watching that has moved a Mearn's quail hunt up pretty high on my bucket list.

I noticed you guys stayed at a motel. Would you be concerned with leaving a wall tent camp unattended during the day in that area?

Some have told me such could be a concern. For us, staying in a motel helps a ton with camera, battery charging, downloading footage, editing footage, etc.

Some have told me such could be a concern. For us, staying in a motel helps a ton with camera, battery charging, downloading footage, editing footage, etc.

Okay, sounds like I need to do some research. I don't know the first thing about flying with a dog. It's a long drive from my house to AZ.

Just watched the episode. Didn't even finish it yet and I was already ready to come on here and say thank you. We're terrible birders but at least have a dog that looks the part. I've got relatives that have property in southern AZ, but they're bird watchers and I think might have a heart attack if I suggested we take a handful for dinner.

20161126_154356.jpg

Back