Caribou Gear

Some suggested political topics

Irrelevant

I'd like to take my political conservation game to the next level but I really don't know what to do. I already call me representatives (both State and Federal) and have joined out local Rod and Gun club (on the board). But I want to know more about the ins and outs of public lands and wildlife politics, and how to influence it.
Where do you go to find out about issues or projects on the local FS/BLM lands?
How to you influence projects? I've seen both EAs and EISs but it seems like the public comment periods are only for the public to provide comment as to the completeness of the EA/EIS and not actually to provide input on the project as a whole, is that option available, if so when in the process are those comments considered?
How do you get involved in projects or the planning efforts, do you have to be a member of a group, do you have to be invited to be part of a local planning effort?
Let's say you're a member of a small rod and gun club, how can you use that club to you become more active, raise money, raise awareness? As a small non profit group like that what are you allowed to do or not do? I've heard you can't make any political stance if you're a non-profit, if so then how to you advocate for or against bills? Can you contact representatives on behave of a R&G non profit?
Does my state legislative representative have any ability or influence at the national level? Is it wasted time/effort if your representative agrees with your stance?
How do you start a local conservation club? Is it even a worthwhile thing to do or would the effort be better off just joining an existing club?

Does my state legislative representative have any ability or influence at the national level? Is it wasted time/effort if your representative agrees with your stance?

This is the guy you have the most influence over. Call his office, invite them to your Tuesday Night meeting to give an overview of pending legislation in the Capitol to your members. Let his office know he can speak about any subject, but your group is really interested in public lands, hunting, and access.

He would LOVE to stand and tell 25 people what he has been up to.

Do a bit of prep before, make sure your members know to be polite, listen, smile, etc. Your goal is not to beat him up or influence him, your goal is to make a friend. And to make introductions.

Then make sure people show up. Make sure you have food/refreshments/drinks. Treat him like a VIP.

Then, if you really want to get active, have everyone in your group send a nice email, thanking him, and reminding him how important public lands and access are. He will then have 25 people on his mailing list.

And you all have the communication dialogue going.

If you want to play the "long game", and you should, you then ALL need to volunteer to work on his campaign. Contribute $20-40 each to his campaign. But, let him know he has a reliable core of 25 hunters he can count on.

Rinse and repeat. Eventually you own this guy in your pocket.

...make sure your members know to be polite, listen, smile, etc. Your goal is not to beat him up or influence him, your goal is to make a friend. And to make introductions.

Jose, someone hacked your account. ;-)

This is the guy you have the most influence over. Call his office, invite them to your Tuesday Night meeting to give an overview of pending legislation in the Capitol to your members. Let his office know he can speak about any subject, but your group is really interested in public lands, hunting, and access.

He would LOVE to stand and tell 25 people what he has been up to.

Do a bit of prep before, make sure your members know to be polite, listen, smile, etc. Your goal is not to beat him up or influence him, your goal is to make a friend. And to make introductions.

Then make sure people show up. Make sure you have food/refreshments/drinks. Treat him like a VIP.

Then, if you really want to get active, have everyone in your group send a nice email, thanking him, and reminding him how important public lands and access are. He will then have 25 people on his mailing list.

And you all have the communication dialogue going.

If you want to play the "long game", and you should, you then ALL need to volunteer to work on his campaign. Contribute $20-40 each to his campaign. But, let him know he has a reliable core of 25 hunters he can count on.

Rinse and repeat. Eventually you own this guy in your pocket.

But does he have national sway?

But does he have national sway?

Perhaps. He can fight in the legislature to not allow the State to accept the land transfer. There are two sides to the Public Land Transfers. There is the Federal side that is transferring, and there is the State side that has to accept.

The more states that reject the idea, the less chance the transfers take place.

And, as more and more of the "joint local collaboration" projects take place between the Federal agencies and the "local communities", he will have influence.

You want to be able to make sure that Rep. Localguyinasuit has influence with the other people on the committees to make sure the local decisions reflect your local best interest for hunters.

Never pass up a chance to own a politician at any level.

And, unlike Fish and Game rules, there is no possession limit on how many politicians you can possess.

It is not wasted time if you think he already agrees with your stance. Reinforce it and make sure he knows you appreciate his support to your cause. Don't let up on him because as you are pulling him one way someone else is trying to pull him in other directions.

It is not wasted time if you think he already agrees with your stance. Reinforce it and make sure he knows you appreciate his support to your cause. Don't let up on him because as you are pulling him one way someone else is trying to pull him in other directions.

Exactly.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back