Caribou Gear

Arizona quail adventure-part 2

sbhooper

After returning to Tucson and laughing about the days stupidity and the good luck of getting out of there, we got some sleep to prepare for the next day of Mearn's hunting.

We did not get an early start, since we did not get home until 0230. We loaded up my buddy Phil's dogs and he, his brother George and I took off for the high country southeast of Tucson. Phil really knows the country and has very good English pointers and so the hunt proceeded well. We got off the path a bit, to hunt one ridge that would have kept most people at bay. We were immediately into birds and I got my first Mearn's in the bag.

We hunted that area and went to two more that were easy access and had been hunted. The easy areas also held lots of birds. We probably put up eight or nine coveys of quail and bagged eight for the day. It was a beautiful day to be out and about and the dogs were a blast. Anyone that has not hunted Mearn's quail over pointers is missing out on a real treat. They hold tight and it is tight shooting, as you are hunting in thick oak and juniper trees, plus some high grass and brush. It is very challenging, quick action that will test your reflexes.

Here are some pics from that hunt.

A bit of scenery.

First Mearn's for me.

George and me.

George and Phil.

Phil found this head while crossing a fence. It fits with the quail!

This was a great time with great friends and a bit of adventure thrown in. After a couple days, I went on to visit another bird hunter friend of mine in Wilcox, Arizona and got a few more birds to bring home.

Last edited:
My other friend, Dave, is a guide and can get all three kinds of quail on one hunt. He really knows his stuff. I have yet to kill a scalie and it will be top priority next year when I return. We just did not have the time, or I would have done it this trip.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the pics....the wood on that o/u ain't too shabby either.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the pics....the wood on that o/u ain't too shabby either.

Yep. I wish I owned it. I was holding it while my buddy took the pic. He offered to let me hunt with one of his guns, but I declined, as I like my little mod 1100 that I can't screw up. He collects Parkers etc. and HUNTS with them! On the res, he was hunting with a gun that he said that he could sell for $15,000. I think the gun in the pic was a Connecticut Arms, or something like that. I never have owned a top-level gun like that, but I may have to just to say that I did! He may have created a monster with this bird stuff!

A friend of his in Newfouldland made the front stock.

Those are some beautiful little birds.
Here is a pic of some quail near the Cochise Stronghold in southeasern AZ, I think they're the same kind. Maybe someday I'll get to hunt them.DSCN0308.jpg

That is a nice chunk of walnut on that scatter gun, just sayin

My other friend, Dave, is a guide and can get all three kinds of quail on one hunt. He really knows his stuff. I have yet to kill a scalie and it will be top priority next year when I return. We just did not have the time, or I would have done it this trip.
My pard and I are strongly considering trying is 4 day Grand Slam hunt. We had a blast with him for a day hunt a couple of years ago.

Great hunt. I would be scared to take that 20 out to the field. thanks for sharing...

You sure got to hunt in some great looking areas, thanks for sharing all those pics! I could handle another taxidermy bill if I ever got a chance to hunt those beautiful birds.

Great hunt. I would be scared to take that 20 out to the field. thanks for sharing...

That is what I thought, too. Phil offered to let me hunt with one of his, but I could not make myself do it. The day on the reservation, he was hunting with a double that he said he could sell for $15,000.

I'll stay with my 1100 Remington!

SB, thanks for a fun trip report. No wonder the AZ guys we hunt pheasant with in KS are such dead shots. They practice on those tiny, lovely quail. Also great: the dogs and their technology, the guns, and the hunting attire in January.

SB, thanks for a fun trip report. No wonder the AZ guys we hunt pheasant with in KS are such dead shots. They practice on those tiny, lovely quail. Also great: the dogs and their technology, the guns, and the hunting attire in January.

No kidding. I have a hard time even thinking fast enough to shoot, let alone hit one! My buddy just sent me a pic of his dog. He went out for one more hunt for the year and the dog got cut up by a javelina. Those things are no joke for a dog.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back