MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Arizona Goulds

Outofstate-r

Hey folks, since it is app season I was curious how hard it is to draw a goulds tag in Arizona? I have looked over the DNR website and can't find any stats on it (Probably looking in the wrong area). Does anyone know about what kind of wait time is on a NR Tag? Thanks.

Goulds tags are crazy hard to get. Even for residents draw odds are in the low single digits. Things get way, way worse for NRs. There are only 70 or so Goulds tags, so best case, with the 10% NR cap, you have a chance at 7 of those. But, in reality you probably only have a chance at 2 of those tags. Normally the way that AZ works the 10% NR cap is that NRs are eligible for up to 10% of the tags for any particular hunt-- not total tags for that species. Since Goulds tags are mostly in the single digits for specific hunts, you can't get any of those tags. Last year there were only two hunts that had enough tags that a NR would have one tag available for the hunt. With sheep and bison it's a little different. NRs get up to 10% of total tags for the species, not by individual hunt, but I don't think that applies for Goulds. So, best case, you're in competition for seven or so tags, worst case, two.

Clear as mud? Put more simply-- if you want to hunt Goulds, go to Mexico.

With all of that said, if you already have the $160 license to apply for elk, deer, etc., it only costs $15 to apply for turkey. The application deadline for next years spring turkey hunts isn't until October, so you have plenty of time to decide.

like everyone else said, gould's tags are incredibly hard to draw. honestly, your chances are not a whole lot better than drawing a bighorn sheep tag. max BP's is well over 20 if i remember right

Goulds tags are crazy hard to get. Even for residents draw odds are in the low single digits. Things get way, way worse for NRs. There are only 70 or so Goulds tags, so best case, with the 10% NR cap, you have a chance at 7 of those. But, in reality you probably only have a chance at 2 of those tags. Normally the way that AZ works the 10% NR cap is that NRs are eligible for up to 10% of the tags for any particular hunt-- not total tags for that species. Since Goulds tags are mostly in the single digits for specific hunts, you can't get any of those tags. Last year there were only two hunts that had enough tags that a NR would have one tag available for the hunt. With sheep and bison it's a little different. NRs get up to 10% of total tags for the species, not by individual hunt, but I don't think that applies for Goulds. So, best case, you're in competition for seven or so tags, worst case, two.

Clear as mud? Put more simply-- if you want to hunt Goulds, go to Mexico.

With all of that said, if you already have the $160 license to apply for elk, deer, etc., it only costs $15 to apply for turkey. The application deadline for next years spring turkey hunts isn't until October, so you have plenty of time to decide.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Yeah, I just don't want to pay an outfitter, anywhere. So it looks like I will just apply for years and hope for the best. Haha

I'm a non-res with 19 points and still can't draw. However, I have a friend (nr) who just drew his 2nd tag.

I had decided to buy a turkey point this year since I am already buying other points in Arizona. I was doing some research and came across this site that says you can accumulate 2 points per year for turkey in Arizona. One for being unsuccessful in the draw and one purchased later in the year. Is this correct? I couldn't find anything on the azgfd site.

http://www.arizonahunting.net/goulds_turkey.htm

I had decided to buy a turkey point this year since I am already buying other points in Arizona. I was doing some research and came across this site that says you can accumulate 2 points per year for turkey in Arizona. One for being unsuccessful in the draw and one purchased later in the year. Is this correct? I couldn't find anything on the azgfd site.

After this last spring draw I'm up to 20 points now. I started building points from the beginning but 2 years into the new point system I discovered that I was 2 points behind maximum. Found out that you can apply for a point only in the Fall Draw. That is how you get two points per year, one for the fall and one for the spring.

Ok thanks. I know it's a long shot, but might as well if you're gona buy the license.

Yep, been doing that since they started. I have 22 points right now. Can't wait to finally draw that Goulds!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back