Bullet Choice

JohnyRingo

I just bought a new rifle but it is the same caliber I have always shot (300 H&H Mag). Now I am kicking around the idea of trying different bullets. I have shot Nosler 180 gr Ballistic Tip handloads for the last 20 years and have had good success on mule deer and antelope. All of my shots have been one shot kills, with only one follow-up shot that I can remember. I have not shot any elk with these bullets as I am primarily a bow hunter for elk. My old rifle also has shot a bear and two moose with one-shot kills.

I am not a big fan of messing with something that is working, but I also like to try new stuff. I am kicking around the idea of trying the Nosler Accubond or the Hornady ELD-X bullets. I am currently shooting the Accubonds while breaking the barrel in by shooting Nosler Trophy Grade bullets. I haven't had a chance to shoot this new rifle on paper much with it being such a cold winter in Wyoming. I have shot the rifle enough to see if I need a muzzle brake or a trigger job though. I haven't noticed any major accuracy issues with the Accubonds, but what I have read is the Accubonds aren't real accurate and that is what led me to the ELD-X's. They seem to get great reviews and a buddy of mine shoots them. At some point I need to make a decision and start working on a load so that I can get a custom turret built for my scope.

What are your thoughts on these bullet choices?

Last edited:
I get sub moa, mostly keyhole groups with 180g Accubonds in my 300WM. I also shoot Choice Ammunition, which are handloaded. I have yet to have an accubond not drop an animal on first shot.

Never had an accuracy issue with AB's when the mix, math, and human component coincided.

Not a big fan of messing with success either. For the last half dozen years having been shooting 168 grain and 180 grain Barnes TTSX in my 300 win mag. You would have a very hard time getting me to switch. Nearly 100% weight retention and very accurate. Only thing that took more than one shot was a nice 6x6 Colorado bull, the first shot killed it but it refused to lie down, so pumped two more in just in case, hated to do it but if it decided to walk over the hill it would soon be on private land with No access allowed.

I've used Berger Hybrid's for years in my 6.5x284 but switched to the ELD-X for this past season. I'm getting sub-MOA and am very happy with the results. Took an antelope, elk, and a mountain goat with them this year...all between 400-500 yards. I had to hit the mtn goat twice, but that was my fault, not the bullet. The elk didn't even take a step.

P1020239.jpg

P1020241.jpg

Are you wanting one load for everything like bear deer elk? If so I would go with a good bullet a 165 or a 180. A Barnes or any of the bonded bullets would be good. My dad used to use 165 accubonds in his 300 mag I wasn't a fan of tgem they did a lot of meat damage. I only use my 300 mag for deer so I have some hot handloads with 165 grain interlocks. They go at 3200 for nice and flat perfect for the prairie

I think I am going to probably end up sticking with the Ballistic Tips. Supposedly, the 180 grain 30 calibers are made to stay together a little better than they used to and I have never had any problems with them before. In the meantime, I will continue to shoot the Accubonds (in a factory round) to break the rifle in and see how I like them. Whichever bullet performs better in my rifle, I will go with.

Back