PEAX Equipment

ALERT toall SD guys!!!

I can see the opinion of many South Dakotans go both way with this bill. Many SD residents I know bitch and complain about never getting tags in the draw but always usually hunt the family farm or friends farm anyways. Now any farm family member can get a tag transferred too there outa state kids, relative's, friends ect.

SD is an absolute hidden gem for deer hunting. Why? Because GFP manages the herd so well. I lived there for 6 years and lots of folks get upset because they don't get a tag EVERY year. They whine and complain about it but they never complain that when they do get a tag they have an incredibly high chance of shooting an awesome mature buck. I personally think that was they have going on right now is a perfect system. These changes are in my opinion unnecessary.

This bill has come up in the past and had fortunately been defeated once it gets on the floor. I would encourage all South Dakota Sportsman's to contact their Representatives and ask them to vote no. http://mlist.orchidsuites.net/lists/lt.php?id=KkoGCwRWVAlQCVRICFJRBgdJA19bDVBY cut and paste this link and it will take you to a State of South Dakota site where you can get information about who your representatives/senators are and an email link.

It's the camels nose under the tent IMO. Tags sold to the highest bidder. It starts here and then snowballs.

Even as a landowner, This would not be a good thing. Highest bidder gets to hunt, and this program would be abused beyond belief.

Time for everyone to get emails, letters, and phone calls to the Legislators and tell them in no uncertain terms that transfer of landowner tags is a bad idea other than possibly to a very close relative that also lives on the land. If the Bill barely got out of Committee on a 7-6 vote, IMHO there is a very good chance it can be defeated when it goes out on the floor before the entire Legislature.

Just talked to a friend who works for GF&P and he said they're in the works or possibly overhauling the draw system. Lots of folks upset they can't hunt their home unit every year. Essentially the new plan would break up the east river/west river boundary and create only statewide tags (which they already have) so everyone can buy a tag every year and hunt their home units. Doesn't make complete sense to me but then again none of these reg chances really do. Plus its all hearsay right now but its being talked about on the inside.

Just talked to a friend who works for GF&P and he said they're in the works or possibly overhauling the draw system. Lots of folks upset they can't hunt their home unit every year. Essentially the new plan would break up the east river/west river boundary and create only statewide tags (which they already have) so everyone can buy a tag every year and hunt their home units. Doesn't make complete sense to me but then again none of these reg chances really do. Plus its all hearsay right now but its being talked about on the inside.

This makes no sense, Tags are already issued by county, not east river or west river. There are different dates for the seasons east vs west river but all tags are issued by county already.

unfortunately, One of my district reps is the co sponsor for this bill:mad:

That is how I interpreted it, also. Thought maybe I was reading it wrong.

But Mr. Rhoden promises it won't get abused!! All it will do is let the landowner recover hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in lost hay! That is gonna be some real valuable tags. Sigh.

But Mr. Rhoden promises it won't get abused!! All it will do is let the landowner recover hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in lost hay! That is gonna be some real valuable tags. Sigh.

I had to laugh at the " can't even get to their hay corrals" line. I've no idea what that even means. Certainly isn't from snow, and if it was, get the blower out and move it. Just like they've been doing for the last 50 years. And lastly, What does getting to hay have to do with deer tags? Not a damn thing.

This is going to be tough to pull off. I have 20 points for Custer State Park any elk, but there are tons of guys out there with more than me that would really get screwed. I don't think deer and antelope would cause much stir, but elk would really set off a shit storm!!!

This got defeated on Monday! Thanks to all who contacted their reps and voiced an opinion. I emailed both of my reps expressing my desire that they vote against the bill. One voted for and one voted against. Sent emails thanking the dissenting vote and expressed my disappointment with the yea vote. Never heard anything from either rep. Am I expecting too much when I believe a reply would be in order?

This got defeated on Monday! Thanks to all who contacted their reps and voiced an opinion. I emailed both of my reps expressing my desire that they vote against the bill. One voted for and one voted against. Sent emails thanking the dissenting vote and expressed my disappointment with the yea vote. Never heard anything from either rep. Am I expecting too much when I believe a reply would be in order?
They only reply to those who contribute to their campaign fund....not the average citizen is what I think.

You South Dakota boys had a chance to be like Colorado and you turned it down??? C'mon everyone is always saying how great Colorado is!

Cant believe you would turn something like this down :rolleyes:

You South Dakota boys had a chance to be like Colorado and you turned it down??? C'mon everyone is always saying how great Colorado is!

Cant believe you would turn something like this down :rolleyes:

Guess we're just not as progressive as you fine folks in CO!!! ha

I guess I don't see the problem. There is already those out there that sell access to land to use a county tag. So many people don't have access to land in a huge portion of the state because of the limited amount of public land. And those counties with a bunch of public land get pounded by those in the state who don't own land or don't have families that own land to hunt on. I think this would be great to be able to purchase a landowner tag in those counties with less public land and have an opportunity at a quality hunt without having to constantly jockey for position and issues that come with public land hunting in SD.
SD is growing more and more divided with those that have access and those that have to fight for position on public land. Those of us who don't own land or have families with land to hunt only have public land. But then those have have family land or own land to hunt can hunt all of it, increasing the competition on public land even more.
How many ranchers and landowners with more than 640 acres will go and sell their landowner tag through a bidding process? Sure, some will. But I would bet that those people are already offering hunting with county tags for an access fee. The rest who have deer/goat issues with hay or whatever will gladly sell the tags reasonably to reduce the heard, not make money. Call naïve, but from who I know in SD, most are very nice and honest.
Honestly, I hate hunting public land in SD because of the losers who abuse it and just drive around and shoot out of their trucks. I already go west (other states) where I can get a quality hunt and experience on public land without worrying about being harassed, shot at, or having to be to the hunting location at 3am to get a spot.

SDLorax, I think that what would happen if this bill were ever to pass is that outfitters would buy those tags. The same way outfitters court western SD landowners to hunt on their land while keeping others out. Then clients wouldn't even have to be troubled with the whole application process, they would just pay to play.

Take a look at the draw odds for SD. Most units have an excess of landowner tags that get put into the general draw due to lack of interest by landowners. That means regular people get to hunt with those tags. Make them a commodity and it will never happen again. Cash is the only way you will get your hands on one.

Nothing is stopping you from getting a plat book, making some phone calls, and finding a landowner who will allow you to hunt private land for a fee in a county with leftover tags. I recommend Meade county to start. Almost devoid of public land so you won't have to worry about that, but there are probably a few outfitters you will have a to compete with. Good luck.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back