Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Another 60/40 special/regular

BuzzH

Another run at flopping the special VS regular NR fees for deer, elk, and pronghorn.

This one died on the floor last session, and has been resurrected again.

Very bad bill for NR's who don't want to pay the special fee and also for those that have any youth hunters.

Youth hunters are not allowed to get the discounted youth fees under the special fee schedule. In other words, a full 20% of the license's available to NR youth would be gone, unless they paid the higher priced, special price fees (no discount).

Plus, there is a major push by the Governors office to recruit, retain, and reactivate hunters right now. This one flies in the face of that.

Also, just for the record, at a GF commission meeting last year, Sy Gilliland was in my face for sticking up for NR hunters, in particular youth hunters, regarding WOGA's 60/40 bill last session. He didn't care one bit if another DIY NR youth hunter ever hunted Wyoming again, unless they were willing to pay the full special fee. Great guy, who also thought Wyoming Resident youth elk hunters should pay $500 for their elk tags.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2017/Introduced/HB0278.pdf

Driskill should know better, let him know you don't want NR youth to lose another 20% of their hunting opportunity for elk, deer, and pronghorn:

[email protected]

Northrup, let him know that recruiting youth into hunting means you have to give them affordable youth prices, and not strip another 20% of the deer, elk, and pronghorn tags from them:

[email protected]

This one passed out of the House TRW today 6-3...better start speaking up or 60% of all deer, elk and pronghorn NR tags are going to be in the special fee category.

Remember, NR youth fees are only applicable to the regular side of the draw, if youth want to participate in the special draw they pay the higher fees...

The special fees for pronghorn are $512, Deer $552, and elk are $1057.

This one is moving to the house for a floor vote...contact them and let them know your thoughts. As a NR hunter I would be pretty pissed about his one.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/LegislatorSummary/LegislatorList.aspx?strHouse=H&strStatus=N

Just for the record, the Wyoming Sportsman's Alliance will also be opposing this one.

The Alliance is made up of 8 groups, Wyoming Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Wyoming Wildlife Federation, Federation of Union Sportsmen, Muley Fanatics, Bow Hunters of Wyoming, Yellowstone Country Bear Hunters, Wyoming Wild Sheep Foundation, Wyoming Backcountry Horsemen.

Just emailed every last one of them.

Do they even take a nonresident's opinion into account?

NoWiser, that is the $64,000 question. I have done my due diligence in hopes it will help. Thanks Buzz!

Last edited:
Just emailed every last one of them.

Do they even take a nonresident's opinion into account?

Yes, they do. They know damn well that NR's spend a pile of cash in every one of their districts. That matters to them.

Keep sending your emails, I've heard them refer to emails they've received from non residents in committee and on the floor.

Just so everyone commenting knows, when you send your comments to the Wyoming legislature your emails will not be held in confidence. Last session, when the 60/40 split came up and I wrote against that as being a bad idea for average hunters, some Legislators on Committees shared my emails with the Wyoming Outfitter and Guides Association, who then went on to rail on me and complain to RMEF.

Chickenshit, but that is how incestuous things can be with some in the power circles of Wyoming.

That said, I'll be voicing my opposition again.

Randy is correct, the Wyoming Outfitters and Guides Association is comprised largely of chickenshits, even when you meet them face to face.

What has their drawers all bunched up is that they aren't as big in the "power circle" anymore. For some reason, they just don't get things run through the legislature like they used to. Odd???:confused:;)

They absolutely do not care about resident or non resident hunters unless you're paying them for a hunt...that's just a fact.

For the record, they also have not opposed the transfer of public lands either...that's about all I need to know about that organization.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I wasn't going to send a message thinking that they wouldn't care about a NRs two cents. I will now.

Another run at flopping the special VS regular NR fees for deer, elk, and pronghorn.

This one died on the floor last session, and has been resurrected again.

Very bad bill for NR's who don't want to pay the special fee and also for those that have any youth hunters.

Youth hunters are not allowed to get the discounted youth fees under the special fee schedule. In other words, a full 20% of the license's available to NR youth would be gone, unless they paid the higher priced, special price fees (no discount).

Plus, there is a major push by the Governors office to recruit, retain, and reactivate hunters right now. This one flies in the face of that.

Also, just for the record, at a GF commission meeting last year, Sy Gilliland was in my face for sticking up for NR hunters, in particular youth hunters, regarding WOGA's 60/40 bill last session. He didn't care one bit if another DIY NR youth hunter ever hunted Wyoming again, unless they were willing to pay the full special fee. Great guy, who also thought Wyoming Resident youth elk hunters should pay $500 for their elk tags.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2017/Introduced/HB0278.pdf

Driskill should know better, let him know you don't want NR youth to lose another 20% of their hunting opportunity for elk, deer, and pronghorn:

[email protected]

Northrup, let him know that recruiting youth into hunting means you have to give them affordable youth prices, and not strip another 20% of the deer, elk, and pronghorn tags from them:

[email protected]

Not surprising about Gilliland Buzz. While sportsmen could not address the Wyoming G&F commission in a closed meeting, Gilliland could...and did address them. He's got to be the greediest outfitter in Wyoming. To heck with the kids he says. S-N-S outfitters.......Money first. Sy Gilliland is a first class jerk.

Buzz, you have the email address(es) that will get comments to the correct committee on this bill?

I didn't think they would care about a non-residents opinion either, but reading this thread I will now send an e-mail. My question is, do I e-mail all the house members on that link or is their a certain committee that this is in? I did send my thoughts to Driskell and Northrup.

All 59 other than the bill sponsor would be better than just the bill sponsor.

I emailed all of the house members. I received responses from 4 of them. Better than I thought I'd do as a NR. The only one who stated their position was Rep. Haley, who said that he voted against it in committee.

I emailed all of the house members. I received responses from 4 of them. Better than I thought I'd do as a NR. The only one who stated their position was Rep. Haley, who said that he voted against it in committee.

Haley is recently retired GF and strongly opposed to PLT...

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back