PEAX Equipment

Elk marrow plugs

teamhoyt

I Have been wanting to try these for along time now and finally cooked them up tonight.
I Seasoned them heavy with garlic, famous daves and sea salt. Cooked on 425 for 20 minutes. They looked great! Made some homemade toast to spread it on. At least the toast tasted good!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 479
The consistency of marrow is hard to describe until you try it. Did it stick to your teeth and roof of your mouth? Flavor I thought was good but the density of fat is quite something.

Would you do it again? Do you know what the nutritional content of the marrow is?

Just wondering if the OP likes beef marrow bones? Was it the flavor or consistency of the marrow that you didn't like?
I absolutely love beef marrow so this year I had my cow elk shanks cut on the bone so I will have the chance to try the marrow myself.

Well, good on ya for giving it a try. I tried a hunk of the fat behind the eye off a moose I killed this past season. I had heard it tasted sweet. That went in the book of "Things to never do again".

I tried it this year with my bull. It tasted OK but my mouth was coated with grease afterwards. It wasn't good enough for me to bother doing it again.

Contrary to what Steve Rinella says, You don't have to eat every part of an animal. lol

I Didn't like the flavor or texture. And yes it sticks to every part of your mouth.

I Think I'm going to try elk tongue next fall. Anyone had it?

Also no never had beef marrow and not trying it again. That was a one and done deal!

Kinda funny though, my daughter tried it and after I glanced over and saw the face she was making I chuckled. She said she didn't want to hurt my feelings. I Told her "you won't i don't like it" she headed straight for the trash can and then to wash out her mouth lol

Made some osso bucco last year with the shanks from my cow. I thought the slugs of marrow were pretty dang tasty. Very rich. Didn't really notice the tacky fat thing but they also cooked for 4 hours or so.

I Think I'm going to try elk tongue next fall. Anyone had it?

We ate the tongue from my bull. Good flavor but kinds gelatinous. We may have over cooked it. We may try it again.

One of our favorites is heart.

My bison shanks had marrow that reminded us of "beef butter". Next time split the bones longways to get more sear on the marrow.

I can't believe what I'm reading. Game marrow is fantastic! It's so good I risk life and limb (okay, fingers) just to sawzall the femurs open.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back