Doesnt get much better than this!

Jamen

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to live where I do and one hour in any direction you can have world class fishing. Sunday was one of those days. We went to a perch slough in the AM. I went solo my mom and her husband followed me out and my sister and her boyfriend came a few hours later. When I got there I had a buddy who was already there and they only caught 2 perch. They packed up an hour and a half later and went home. I sat there for two hours or more without a mark on the sonar. The day prior I had caught 11 nice perch there. So waiting for the school to arrive I was grilling some brats on the ice. My cousin and his roommate along with his girlfriend showed up. They asked how fishing was and I said not a mark on the screen. They went south of me to look for a spot.

10 Minutes later I get a call, my buddy hey you need to get down here we got 2 on the ice in 5 minutes. Well I was in the middle of grilling so I said I’d pack up after that thinking maybe it was just a small school that came through. I was just getting packed up and he called again and said I needed to be there NOW! They had 20 on the ice. So I flew down there told my mother and them to follow.

Once I got there they had fish laying all over the ice. I started to punch a few holes and drop my line. Of course once I get there all fishing seemed to stop. They blamed me for it. The next 25 minutes was really slow and the rest of my family made it down to us. Just like a switch on the wall the fish turned on and everyone was catching them. We were pulling perch out of holes as fast as you could drop it down. We had a grid of holes scattered everywhere to stay on top of the school. The rest was history. For the next 3 hours you could see 8 people running all over the ice throwing perch in random piles on the ice. I had forgotten about my bobber rod I first put out right away. I was walking back to my truck to get gloves when I see the tip of my Fenwick start to drag down my hole 3 eyelets were in the water. Thank god I had ice cleats on and could run on the ice to grab my pole and bring up a 13 inch perch.

With 8 people we managed to take home 135 fish. It was a lot of fun having my mom and sister out there. They never get a chance to catch fish like this and they had a blast. I am lucky I have some friends who are really good at fishing and have taken me on bites like this and have taught me a few things. I wish the picture of the whole pile would have saved to my phone but it didn’t. Here are a few that we took. The one pile has about half of them in it. A bucket only holds about 40ish perch.

imagepng_0.jpg
Screenshot_20170130-080854.jpg
Snapchat-8430374493458184109_1485786760871.jpg

Everyone did their part. Each group involved left with smiles on their faces and buckets of fish!

I've heard those are tasty fish. My boy really wants to do some ice fishing, not many chances in missouri

I've heard those are tasty fish. My boy really wants to do some ice fishing, not many chances in missouri

I am no expert in it but if you ever find yourself up in ND and we have ice I will try my best to put you on some fish!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back