MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho Spring Bear

tmvikings

After doing lots of research it looks like Idaho is becoming my top choice for spring bear. I have hunted Elk, Deer, Antelope, and Hogs, but never black bear. My buddy and I will be traveling around 20 + hours on this 1400 + mile trek. With that said I'm thinking about doing a semi guided hunt, but I really just want to get out and have a successful spot and stalk hunt. I don't think a remote bait site is for me but I do want to explore all my possibilities. From what I gather so far the Clear water area, Salmon area are ok. Seems that it is also a good idea to stay away from unit 39. Lot of positive posts and feedback from the panhandle area.

Thanks for any help.
Troy

Don't write off 39. It's good for bears. I think there are other units with a better age class of bears but the numbers are strong in 39. I'm sure you've been discouraged by reading about the crowds. While it is still a little busy in the spring, the spring is not NEARLY as busy as October. There are not many guys that will backpack in and hike hard for a bear (myself included most years, don't love the meat). There is good open country glassing opportunities in 39 while most of the units further north in Idaho have thicker timber, with limited glassing. The Salmon area also has good looking country for open glassing and spot and stalk. But I can't speak for the bear numbers there.

I am also going Spring Bear hunting in Idaho and I am glad I ran into this convo. I am looking to go into 1 of 3 units but might be changing depending on what I am reading. I have been looking to get into units 4, 10 or 12. I will also be doing spot and stalk not much bait. I am worried after your comment twsnow18 though because I did not know that is was thick timber up there. I might have to rethink the area I go.

I am also going Spring Bear hunting in Idaho and I am glad I ran into this convo. I am looking to go into 1 of 3 units but might be changing depending on what I am reading. I have been looking to get into units 4, 10 or 12. I will also be doing spot and stalk not much bait. I am worried after your comment twsnow18 though because I did not know that is was thick timber up there. I might have to rethink the area I go.

RE Units 10/12: Call the Clearwater office for the biologist and GW numbers. They will tell you that both those areas get extremely busy.

My experience for spring bear in SW Idaho has been different. The overwhelming majority of those I see are from 10 AM -2 pm. From a few years back same drainage, sow with 2 cubs and another loner. Maybe I would see more if I stayed out later, but never needed. Just find a good spot elevation, green grass, water and cover. Should do fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,107
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,046
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,106
all of the panhandle units have lots of bears... I would not start hunting till Atleast May 20th or so..Preferably end of may and beginning of june. Baiting can be really easy. We dump sweet Cob for deer and elk on cams in WA right on the ID border and get a ton of bears on it and some within hours putting it out.

If you are looking at hunting 39 this year, you might want to look at what the Pioneer fire did this year. It was pretty devastating and from what I have seen so far it really burnt hot and the area in some parts was really wiped out...

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I am planning on spring bear as well, and for convenience I will hunt either 39 or 43. I live in Mountain Home so they are both in my back yard. This will be my first bear hunt and my first Idaho hunt so it will be interesting!

How about any good areas in unit 1 for bears? From the topo maps, looks like a lot of thick tree cover for spot and stalk. Just wondering if there's any good areas, logged areas, burn areas, I'm not seeing and should check out?

Northern Idaho does support large numbers of bears and that's most certainly due to the heavier annual rainfall resulting in increased vegetation which supports those greater bear densities. More food for bears with more heavily forested terrain. So, those timbered areas are exactly the types of terrain where you should be searching for and hunting black bears. Learn to recognize and hunt bears in the terrain they frequent. A more appropriate method in northern Idaho would be locate and stalk rather than spot and stalk. Whatever method you use, whether calling, baiting, hunting with hounds, spot and stalk etc., consistent success and your particular success will depend on your familiarity with the terrain you're hunting. Hunting earlier in the season will help in eliminating some of the 'competition' , help in locating bears and eliminate the possibility of shooting bears with rubbed hides. Your focus on north Idaho for your upcoming spring hunt is right on target.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back