Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Reality Check Needed - WY

Just out or curiosity, why doe and fawn tags? You could draw a buck tag and go for an antelope buck if you wanted. I lived in Cheyenne for several years and antelope are everywhere in the state. Try for a tag in the unit that is just north and west of Cheyenne (unit 38). Decent draw odds (38% regular and 100% special) and plenty of places to hunt. If/when you draw PM me and I will give you detailed info...even GPS coordinates if you want. When I lived there I helped several people shoot there first antelope. It was/is a day hunt and fun.

Good luck.

Why doe/fawn? More than anything, cost. If I can scratch together the additional $200, I'd think about a buck tag, but I'm trying to shoestring this thing as much as I can right now. If I end up in 38 I'll be sure to PM you. I was slightly nervous about that unit because it says there's limited public access, so thanks very much!

I was going to hold off on a final decision on where to apply until closer to the deadline - do you know if the number of tags is usually finalized before then? I know everything right now is still provisional, but wasn't sure when things firmed up...

April 20-21 quotas will be finalized at the Casper Commission meeting. Proposed quotas will be out endish of March.

Unit 38 is looking pretty good right now as far as winter is concerned.

I'd say 2 days. Boulder to southern/southeast Wyoming is an easy couple hours drive up I-25. Drive up one morning, hunt all that day. Hunt the next morning (if needed), drive back. There are meat processors who will butcher your animal and also ship it home to you. I know the place in Lusk does, I don't know of others first hand, but it should be easy to figure out.

Leaning towards trying to make it a 2 day commitment after all the advice I've gotten so far. I hadn't thought of using a game processor, but I'll make some calls to see what it'd cost to get the meat done by a processor and sent home.

Thanks so much for all of this information - I'm feeling a lot more confident in being able to make this happen which has me way more excited about this trip than I was before.

I would plan 2-3 days if possible. You timing will be good for a lot of units. Since you never been to Wyoming one or two days is not enough. You want to spend a little time looking around because I am pretty sure you will be back. Do you have plans for a vehicle? I wouldn't worry about a processor. I quarter or debone in the field after that not much processing on an antelope.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back