Caribou Gear

Reality Check Needed - WY

jakenbake

Hey All,

I just found out that I'm going to be a groomsman in a wedding this year in Boulder, CO (I live in Maryland). I've never hunted out West and wasn't planning on a trip for at least a few years due to money/family hurdles that would need to be cleared. That said, now that I know that I'm going to be out there, I want to at least dip my toe in the Western hunting world and I thought a WY doe/fawn antelope hunt would be a fun (easy?) first attempt at a Western hunt. I've spent a couple days looking at units in WY and have a bunch of questions:

1. I'll be out around Columbus Day weekend (second weekend of October), which I realize is after all of the antelope openers. Is it realistic to think I can get a successful hunt in in a day, or should I try to plan for 2-3 days (even just seeing antelope might feel like a success, honestly, because I have so little idea what I'm doing)?
2. If I were to kill an antelope, I'd first need to take it back to wherever I was staying in CO (hopefully with a cousin who lives outside of Denver) - can I take a WY-killed antelope across state lines without any issues assuming I have the WY tag? And as far as WY goes, can I butcher the animal in the field? The regs say evidence of sex need to stay on the animal from site of kill to residence of hunter, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to keep that through at least until I get back to where I'm staying, but can I clean the rest of the meat up to leave as much of the carcass/mess in the field as possible? Alternatively, can I just keep the head with me, and have the rest of the meat cleaned and bagged in game bags?
3. Getting an antelope back home - would an average-sized boned-out antelope doe fit in a carry-on sized soft cooler?
4. As far as areas to apply for, I figure I'll look at the draw odds on the WY G&F site and just apply for the places with the best odds, assuming I can find a couple spots within the area that have public access. Does that make sense? I'm looking at Areas 57, 61, and 68, then all of the areas east of those (I know 61 and 68 are super unlikely so I wouldn't apply for them, just drawing trying to draw a line to work east from).
5. When you're driving along BLM land, can you just pull off anywhere and leave the vehicle there and start walking?
6. Can you target practice on public/BLM land in WY (i.e. to check zero after the rifle bounced around on an airplane)? I ask because you're not allowed to target shoot on public land here in MD unless you're at one of the public ranges.

Thanks a million for any advice you can help with,
Jake

Jake, remember that you will not only need to know the transport rules of Wyoming, but every state you take your harvest will have their own set of rules, and it is incumbent on you to know and follow each states rules. With Chronic Wasting Disease issues, many states have rules against interstate transportation of skull contents and spinal cords.

I have seen hunters traveling back to Arkansas after hunting in Colorado with quite sad looks on faces, as the game wardens were telling him that he had failed to follow Kansas regulations for proof of species and gender on their game being interstate transported.

1- It can be done in a day, but I wouldn't. Especially on your first hunt in the west.

Get to know the place. Get to know the animals. It will be a more worth while experience.

2- Gut in the field and cool off asap. I like to quarter in the field.

3- One of the large yeti soft sided coolers would work. Or share with your cousin.

5- Generally yes. Check with the local BLM office for the specific area you're driving.

6- Generally yes. Just know what's around you and be safe. Don't be near a frequent ly used hiking trail. Have a good backstop.

Last edited:
If you had a couple days I would look at type 6 doe tags. They are cheap and easier to draw, plus lots of targets to be found. If I can do it anyone can

I would be careful with the draw odds from last year until the permits are set for this year. I suspect there will be a reduction in type 6/7 tags this year in some units. A lot of pronghorn fawns here in SW Wyoming are in pretty rough shape and other areas in Wyoming may be better or worse.

I think the entire idea is great, and very doable. If I were you I wouldn't even worry about trying to bring a gun, shoot an antelope, etc. instead I would pick a couple days and ask here if anyone is going to be hunting and would let you tag along. I certainly would if you were going to be in my area of Montana. I don't think you are likely to put anyone's secret antelope spot in jeopardy (if there is such a thing) and you'd set yourself up to have a good hunt yourself, and hopefully a friend, when the time comes.

Or, bring a fly rod and fish some in CO. You will get an idea of what an adventure out West is and in the meantime build up some points in WY and come out in a few years and have a relaxing hunt in a much better unit where animals may not be much bigger but access will be easier.

Just out or curiosity, why doe and fawn tags? You could draw a buck tag and go for an antelope buck if you wanted. I lived in Cheyenne for several years and antelope are everywhere in the state. Try for a tag in the unit that is just north and west of Cheyenne (unit 38). Decent draw odds (38% regular and 100% special) and plenty of places to hunt. If/when you draw PM me and I will give you detailed info...even GPS coordinates if you want. When I lived there I helped several people shoot there first antelope. It was/is a day hunt and fun.

Good luck.

Jake, remember that you will not only need to know the transport rules of Wyoming, but every state you take your harvest will have their own set of rules, and it is incumbent on you to know and follow each states rules. With Chronic Wasting Disease issues, many states have rules against interstate transportation of skull contents and spinal cords.

I have seen hunters traveling back to Arkansas after hunting in Colorado with quite sad looks on faces, as the game wardens were telling him that he had failed to follow Kansas regulations for proof of species and gender on their game being interstate transported.

CWD restrictions do not apply to antelope as far as I know. Good information though.

My dad and I drove 20hrs to WY this year as our first DIY hunt, we hunted one afternoon then the next day we both tagged out on decent bucks. We weren't going for booners since it was our first one. Absolutely doable! Like you I also have a wedding that weekend but the clown booked it in PA so my WY antelope hunt is a bust for this year.

The hunt is totally doable, the issue is you likely won't draw a tag that far South or east in Wyoming so you are going to be driving to NE/NC Wyoming for a guaranteed tag. It doesn't hurt to put a closer tag in as a 1st choice in case you get lucky. Antelope boned out can fit in about 3 gallon ziplock bags and nets out about 30 lbs of meat. You could transport one in a 20 quart soft sided cooler without issue.

I've been part of 2 antelope hunts that involved filling 4 tags and driving 2000+ miles in 80-90 hours total so you could definitely fill one in 24 hours coming from Colorado or at least have time to blow a few stalks and shots in the process.

A single day doe hunt is very doable. I'll send you a PM about where I had success last fall.

I'd say 2 days. Boulder to southern/southeast Wyoming is an easy couple hours drive up I-25. Drive up one morning, hunt all that day. Hunt the next morning (if needed), drive back. There are meat processors who will butcher your animal and also ship it home to you. I know the place in Lusk does, I don't know of others first hand, but it should be easy to figure out.

Yep, I'm good once I get home assuming all I have is boned-out meat. If I were to draw a buck tag, coming back with a head gets a little more difficult, so between that and the cost that's why I'm planning on a doe tag. Thanks for the reminder though!

1- It can be done in a day, but I wouldn't. Especially on your first hunt in the west.

Get to know the place. Get to know the animals. It will be a more worth while experience.

2- Gut in the field and cool off asap. I like to quarter in the field.

3- One of the large yeti soft sided coolers would work. Or share with your cousin.

5- Generally yes. Check with the local BLM office for the specific area you're driving.

6- Generally yes. Just know what's around you and be safe. Don't be near a frequent ly used hiking trail. Have a good backstop.

Great information - thank you! I figure a 2/3 day commitment would make everything a lot easier (travel to/from, weather days, etc.), just not totally sure I'll be able to get the time away from work/family. If I can, I'd definitely prefer to spend more time rather than less.

I would be careful with the draw odds from last year until the permits are set for this year. I suspect there will be a reduction in type 6/7 tags this year in some units. A lot of pronghorn fawns here in SW Wyoming are in pretty rough shape and other areas in Wyoming may be better or worse.

I was going to hold off on a final decision on where to apply until closer to the deadline - do you know if the number of tags is usually finalized before then? I know everything right now is still provisional, but wasn't sure when things firmed up...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back