Winter kill?

We got hammered in NW Montana. Layer after layer of crusted snow. Luckily for a lot of the deer use tree canopy areas, but it's still tough on them. I have five foot drifts and 3 foot snow pack in my yard by Kalispell. Does anyone have first hand conditions of the winter around Wise River or Dillon areas?

3-7" of snow forecast in NE Montana tonight. Thankfully next week shows a nice warmup. Forecast highs in the 40s for the first time in two months. We need to reprieve.

NW Wyoming is insane. Most snotels show only 96 was worse. I have 57" of snow on the level in my yard. And 10-15" to come before the weekend. While many elk are on feedgrounds, those around Bondurant that aren't are toast. Green River basin wintering animals are hanging in there, March will tip things one way or the other. It's the name of the game, interesting to observe.

How's the winter going in the central part of Montana around the Jordan/Winnett area

Percent of normal takes into account time of year, it's not in comparison to total for the whole year.

Percent of normal is interesting because the period of record changes. The NRCS snotels use a 30 year period. Right now they use 1980-2010. this changed from 1970-2000 somewhere around 2013 or 14. In Montana the 1970's were much snowier than 2000-2010. From what I understand this changed around 10% between these two periods. So 100% of normal now would have been around 90% of normal in any year from 2003ish to 2013. I may be a little off on the years they changed, but I'm fairly sure the period of record is correct. I don't suggest this is earth shattering but it is interesting.

Percent of normal is interesting because the period of record changes. The NRCS snotels use a 30 year period. Right now they use 1980-2010. this changed from 1970-2000 somewhere around 2013 or 14. In Montana the 1970's were much snowier than 2000-2010. From what I understand this changed around 10% between these two periods. So 100% of normal now would have been around 90% of normal in any year from 2003ish to 2013. I may be a little off on the years they changed, but I'm fairly sure the period of record is correct. I don't suggest this is earth shattering but it is interesting.

I have no doubt the 1970s were snowier, but as it has been explained to me, comparing the 1970-2000 30 year normal to the 1980-2010 30 year normal is not apples to apples. In the 1980s they moved a bunch of Snotel Sites, changed the methodology they used to calculate the "water year to date %", and phased out the inferior instrumentation.

We've lost a lot of low to mid elevation snow pack the last week here in SW MT. Lots of southerly slopes breaking open.

We don't seem to have that issue up in the NW corner. There's snow everywhere. Looks like we are right about "normal" right now at elevation, but I would guess we are probably like 200% normal in the valleys.

Chinook winds bared of the northern foothills of the Bighorns last night and caused some flooding in the Upper bighorn valley

Grass is exposed.

Nameless Range, thanks for the info, makes sense. So your assessment is that it is not apples to apples because the basic data is not the same, as well as the period of record change. Does the result still hold true then, that 100% then is not 100% now, or is it even comparable with the changes in underlying data? We need a snowpack hydrologist to chime in.

Game and Fish will start mid winter flights probably next week to check conditions. That will, give us a good idea what is really happening all over. Jackson area G&F people say the antelope left in Jackson will not make it but deer should be ok, some loss, recent warming cleared some slopes for browse and grazing. They believe as of current conditions moose. elk etc. will be ok with some loss but not near catastrophic. They are still wondering what March and April will bring. After the flights will get an idea just how many are not making it on the winter range.

Large chunks of Idaho are thawing right now. Rivers are running high, lots of big ice jams and flooding in places. It was 60 degrees at 6 PM in Boise on Thursday when I was there. This breakup might be coming at just the right time to save some critters.

CPW says they have lost 31% of fawns so far this winter in the Gunnison basin. Normally they lose 36% for the entire winter. It will be interesting to see the final numbers in June.

I know it's still early but I assume the warm weather has greatly improved conditions in Montana.

Greatly improved my attitude. I was getting real tired of winter.
The south facing slopes and wind blown spots are bare. Still up to my knees and crusted on the North facing slopes.

laramie_header
February 16, 2017
Winter impacts on big game animals in SE Wyoming
LARAMIE – In some parts of Wyoming, the winter of 2016-17 is shaping up to be one of the harshest in many years. In response, wildlife managers with the Wyoming Game and Fish Department are monitoring winter’s impact on big game animals across the state.

Current winter conditions in the Laramie Region vary from average to average/severe. The Laramie Region covers Goshen, Platte, Laramie, Albany and Carbon counties. A majority of the region experienced more than a week of subzero temperatures and some substantial snow. Eastern portions of the region, including Goshen Hole and the east slope of the Laramie Mountains, are blown free of snow or have melted, making forage available for wildlife. Meanwhile, western areas of the region are still maintaining snowpack at some level.

“While it's still too early to call, it has not been severe yet. Some areas are experiencing harsher than average conditions, but not severe,” said Corey Class, Wildlife Coordinator in Laramie. Snowpack values vary from 112 percent to 134 percent of the median across the region, with snowpack in the mountains varying from 24 inches to more than 80 inches.

"It’s difficult to anticipate winter mortality given that a majority of it occurs in April and May. However, at this time nothing suggests higher than normal mortality in mule deer fawns. As for pronghorn fawns, we have seen some mortalities in and near towns, more than we did last year at this time, so fawn mortality could be higher this winter depending on what the remainder of winter has is store,” Class said.

A January cold snap was followed up with high winds and above freezing temperatures in the Wheatland area. Several snow storms west of the Laramie Range have resulted in snow drifting over roads making travel difficult, but ungulates have been able to access forage on ridges and south facing slopes that have been blown free of snow.

Wildlife managers in Saratoga report that big game animals have left the deep snow in the mountains. Elk and pronghorn joined the mule deer that left North Park, Colo., and headed for lower elevations in Wyoming. Around 1,200 pronghorn crossed the state line into Wyoming and walked on Highway 230 for a couple miles to avoid deep snow. As a result, several pronghorn were killed on the highway. The Big Creek Ranch, the Wyoming Department of Transportation, the Wyoming Highway Patrol and Radio Station KTGA assisted wildlife managers in warning motorists of the large herds on the highway.

Winter mortality has been low so far in the Medicine Bow area. A few warm spells and high winds have kept the area open for easy access to vegetation for the wildlife. So far there has not been much fawn mortality, even in city limits, and few highway accidents.

Harsh winters are not uncommon in the West. Wyoming’s big game have faced arctic-like conditions in years past, most recently in 2011. Impacts on big game can be significant during harsh winters, but the worst winter in recent memory was 1983-84 with populations rebounding within a few years.

“This is a critical time of the year for big game and their survival is dependent on their ability to conserve energy and find adequate forage,” Class said. “Wyoming’s elk, deer and pronghorn all have evolved to survive and cope in these conditions. Migrations are an example of a behavior that helps big game animals survive harsh winters.”

The Department held an online public meeting on Feb. 8 to take questions and discuss existing research on options such as emergency feeding of deer and antelope or removing coyotes that can prey on deer and pronghorn when they are vulnerable during the winter. A video recording of the meeting is available at https://wgfd.wyo.gov/winter2017.

-WGFD-

Got this via email. Betting they will be putting out these statements for other regions also. Sounds ok right now. Last April and May were pretty wet and cold.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back