Trapping and Fleshing first time

Once you get it fleshed there are a lot of places that will tan it for you at pretty reasonable prices.

They get mixed reviews but USA Foxx and Furs will even flesh them for you and they are WAY less than the $150 you mentioned. (I just looked it up and it is $13 to flesh and $19 to tan. That doesn't include shipping).

I sent a bobcat to them and they did a good job on it, that's my only experience.

Once you get it fleshed there are a lot of places that will tan it for you at pretty reasonable prices.

They get mixed reviews but USA Foxx and Furs will even flesh them for you and they are WAY less than the $150 you mentioned. (I just looked it up and it is $13 to flesh and $19 to tan. That doesn't include shipping).

I sent a bobcat to them and they did a good job on it, that's my only experience.

Wow, thats actually a really good price. Still I'd really like to do it myself so yes I could pay to have it done but I'd rather learn what I did wrong.

Heres a tip for fleshing any critter but especially the greasy ones. Sawdust, go get some sawdust from a cabinet maker or other place. I get it by the giant garbage bag. toss it on liberally as your scrapping it provides a little grip and makes it all a whole lot less messy.

Heres a tip for fleshing any critter but especially the greasy ones. Sawdust, go get some sawdust from a cabinet maker or other place. I get it by the giant garbage bag. toss it on liberally as your scrapping it provides a little grip and makes it all a whole lot less messy.

Interesting, I can see how that would work. Wouldn't salt have about the same effect if I just threw some salt on it as well?

20 mule team borax is magic on greasy skins. Follow up with a good bath in dish detergent and an ounce of bleach per gallon of water.
Dry fur side well with cool air.
Salt skin for a day.
Soak in acid/pickle solution.
Wash again and dry fur side again.
Put on stretcher skin out and check for dryness twice a day, pulling and stretching lightly to keep skin soft.
Finish with a light coat of softening oil of some type when it is dry to the touch.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back