Colorado Unit 3 Mule Deer

nhn2a

Our group has narrowed down our units and decided to hunt unit 3 in Colorado this season for Mule Deer during 2nd season rifle. Has anyone on here hunted that unit on public lands and if so, do you have any advice you can share?

We are debating between Pole Gulch and Big Hole. We've been spending time on Google Earth trying to find places where we can get away from roads but it doesn't appear that many places are more than a mile from a road.

Also although we are primarily hunting deer, we would like to find Elk and pick up an OTC tag if we do. Is there an area that would be better to focus on to meet that goal as well?

I hunt 3 for mulies. I like it alot. Get on the CPW hunt planner and learn to use the winter/summer range function. They are usually spot on with areas to start. There literally is deer everywhere in that unit though. Not very many really big bucks though.

Unit 3 is all high desert and the elk don't show up until the weather pushes them down. This past season they didn't show until after 4th rifle was over. Anything is possible, but 2nd is tough.

I hunt 3 for mulies. I like it alot. Get on the CPW hunt planner and learn to use the winter/summer range function. They are usually spot on with areas to start. There literally is deer everywhere in that unit though. Not very many really big bucks though.

Unit 3 is all high desert and the elk don't show up until the weather pushes them down. This past season they didn't show until after 4th rifle was over. Anything is possible, but 2nd is tough.

When you say 2nd is tough, are you saying for the Elk or Mule Deer? The Elk would only be an added bonus if we could get on them. Our main goal was to see a lot of deer and get the chance to take decent deer but not planning for trophy. This is a first mule deer hunt for all of us.

Understood! Do you have any experience with big hole or pole gulch?

I've archery hunted 3 before for mule deer. There are plenty of deer but you will struggle to put a lot of distance between you and other hunters during 2nd season. It was mentioned above and 100% accurate based on my experience...2nd and even 3rd season can be a challenging time to find elk there. Heck, this past year, 3rd season was in the 40s/50s in that area and zero precipitation. It can also be challenging to get very far away from roads in that unit. Very sweet place for antelope though.

I agree. There are a ton of hunters in unit 3. I hunted it a few years ago and the the orange I saw was crazy.Saw lots of deer but nothing worth spending my time and money for.

I agree. There are a ton of hunters in unit 3. I hunted it a few years ago and the the orange I saw was crazy.Saw lots of deer but nothing worth spending my time and money for.

Rooster, when you say nothing worth spending your time on do you mean no good deer at all or were you being selective? We have low expectations but would like to come back with a somewhat nice 3 or 4pt buck if possible given this is a first time mule deer hunt for us all.

Also for those that have hunted this area, do you normally stay in hotels or camp? We would like to camp but all the state trust lands we are targeting dont allow camping and cant find anywhere nearby that allows camping.

I camped at the campground in Maybell. It's a nice little place with a decent price and shower and a skinning pole. There are sites with electricity as well.

I received my Mule Deer Tag in the mail this week which was exciting. It was guaranteed with my 1 preference point but considering this was my first time actually applying for a tag in CO (or anywhere out west for that matter) it was a feeling or relief to know that I read the regulations properly and applied correctly. Now comes the fun part ...

This is true. I hunted this unit for antelope last year and the mule deer were everywhere. Don't waste your money on an elk tag it is a 4th rifle unit. You can checkout past results on the CO DOW website if you don't take our word for it.

Back