PEAX Equipment

Mystery Ranch Metcalf vs Marshall

NENate

I know a lot of this depends on hunting style, which I don't really have one yet (new to Elk hunting) but hoping some guys will chime in on Metcalf vs Marshall pros/cons. I'm inclined to go bigger and cinch down while using the Marshall as a day pack... will it be too bulky?

Seems like MR went to a design where bags are no longer sold separately, seems like a disadvantage what are your thoughts?

I'm not entirely sold on MR, but figured if it is good enough for Randy it's likely good enough for me and I'm having a heck of a time evaluating all the pros and cons of other brands.

Also, someone get out their crystal ball and tell me if/when these will be on camofire again ��

Thanks,

Nate

Last edited:
I bought a MR Metcalf on Camofire last year and, even at that great price, it is the most expensive pack I own. But it is also the best in durability, function, and comfort. Cinched down as a day hunting pack, even so my grandson who scored a double on cow elk with me on a cold wet winter day, was impressed at all the gear, caps, gloves, mittens, rope, and other helpful items pulled out of that pack to assist us in dealing with the downed elk.

I have both. They are both great packs. The Metcalf is my "go to" pack due to how well it converts to a day pack. I had to narrow it down to one for elk hunting, it would be the Metcalf. If all I did were week long trips with what I could get on my back, it would be the Marshall.

If going with one pack, I would pick the Metcalf. I have MR Kodiak and Crew Cab. The Kodiak is now the pack I lend out and use the Crew Cab solely. To me I much prefer have a good day pack than a good pack for the big awkward loads. I can suck it up and get in with the big load, but I'd rather not have to suck it up every day I'm out hunting, and I don't want to carry a second bag along.
I just ordered a new pack for my dad and moved away from MR and got a Kifaru EMR II. Supposed to excel in both the big pack and day pack departments...we'll see. It's also made in USA which MR unfortunately isn't anymore. Even though I went to Kifaru, I have been very happy with my MR packs, and I'm sure either one would be great for you. Mine have been very durable.

I have both. They are both great packs. The Metcalf is my "go to" pack due to how well it converts to a day pack. I had to narrow it down to one for elk hunting, it would be the Metcalf. If all I did were week long trips with what I could get on my back, it would be the Marshall.

Thanks Randy. Timing of this is perfect as I'm considering the same question. I think I understand your answer but I'll ask a follow up...

I'm planning my first backpack hunt in 2018. If I read the specs right, the Metcalf is 70L and the Marshall is 105L. My local backpacking shop which sells Mystery Ranch questions whether 70L is big enough for what I want to do which is 5 days in the backcountry taking in a tent/sleeping bag/pad/etc. Is the 70L Metcalf big enough? I'll use this primarily for what I hope will be a yearly 5 day western hunt but I'll also use it for short hiking trips (sometimes day, sometimes weekend) and related activities.

Follow up: If you buy a Metcalf or Marshall with the frame, can you add the second bag later and install on the frame? It appears so.

Does anyone have or know of comparison photos/videos between the two which show scale? There is one youtube video of the Marshall and it's ok but doesn't convince me. It also makes the Marshall look enormous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uWBWyoUp7I

I used the Mystery Ranch Metcalf last year on elk, early season mule deer and my whitetail hunts. For elk hunting it was a great pack. I was able to carry everything I needed for my daily hunts plus I was able to use it to pack in my tent for a spike camp. I felt that it was a little more than what I needed for my whitetail hunts. I couldn't get it to collapse as small as I wanted. I ended up switching to an EXO 3500 for late mule deer hunt and I haven't looked back. If your going to be backpacking in and setting up camp you can't go wrong with the Mystery Ranch. But for my hunting style I switched to the EXO 3500 that fits my needs as a hunter.

my hunting partner and i looked at both marshall and metcalf last year. mr says metcalf is good for 4-5 days - which is what we did. having said that, we could have made it go for a week (anything beyond a week, probably need marshall). imho - having the slightly smaller pack is better (for me anyway). it doubles for a day pack easier. and for me, whatever pack i have I'll fill up with something - going smaller forces me to plan better and pack lighter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back