Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Anyone else tying?

I tied up a bunch of caddis for my wife for Christmas... my dang eyes are getting to old for that stuff.

Patience, Grasshopper.

I should be. My flyfishing has taken a back seat the past several years.

On the theme of terrestrials and caddis. I tie a black cricket pattern with a peacock herl body and a dun hackle. Black deer hair for the wing and a clipped deer hair head. It's one of my favorite summer patterns.

I pop together woolley buggers or a version of them to mimic leeches. They work for the lake cutthroats up here and large / smallmouth bass fly fishing.

Nope but wish I was. I kept several good upland bird skins/wings/tails that I can't wait to catch something on

You guys make me jealous. Anytime I have ever tried to tie they come out looking like a hairy rabbit turd with or without wings. My mentor ties wooly boogers with peacock feathers instead of marabou which keeps them together when fishing upstream in faster water. I still like marabou when fishing in slower water because I think it adds some action but the peacock feathers keeps it from making an umbrella over the body. Maybe nothing new to you guys but I thought it was cool.

I should be tying, but not yet, i used to love fly tying, but these days its more a chore i'm sad to say.
Our season starts on the 15th March, but my box is looking pretty empty as my clients (and me!) lost a fair few drys/nymphs last year.
Cheers
Richard

I should be tying, but not yet, i used to love fly tying, but these days its more a chore i'm sad to say.
Our season starts on the 15th March, but my box is looking pretty empty as my clients (and me!) lost a fair few drys/nymphs last year.
Cheers
Richard

Richard, you fish subsurface? Not a very proper British thing to be doing. :rolleyes:

I tied up a bunch of caddis for my wife for Christmas... my dang eyes are getting to old for that stuff.

I row the boat, she ties most of the flies. She deals with struggling to see little things, I deal with avoiding guide boats on the river(s). It's a fair trade.

No, I haven't tied flies in a while. Thanks for the reminder- time to break out the 'ol Renzetti. The Wind River Canyon is calling...

Tied about 500 or so of these (teeny nymph's), in a bunch of sizes and colors. Read that it may help my fading up close vision to tie flies...all that accomplished was proving that I need reading glasses. Oh well, have a pretty good supply of my favorite flies on hand.

I wish I knew how many fish my family and I have caught on these...thousands for sure. Lots of different species as well...from bass/perch to grayling and about everything in between. Very versatile pattern for sure.

0128170827.jpg

Last edited:
I have a list every winter, usually based on last years bugs I lost and where I'll be going this year. I have about 20 dozen staples, and about 10 dozen of others. I'm spending 9 days in YNP this summer, so there are a few extras for just that trip that I'll be tying. Top of my list always: EHC, Prince Nymph, Hoppers, beetles, copper johns, midges, yellow sallies, purple haze.

OMW to the Fly Fishing Film Festival tonight in Missoula! Always a good time, drunk guys sreaming every time a fish comes on the screen, swag giveaways and the free beer preparty is always good...

Buzz, anytime I run into Jim Teeny I buy a handful of his nymphs for my nephew to use at Pyramid for the Lahontan Cutthroat.

Between vision and thick fingers it gets harder to tie every year. These are wild turkey jigs ready to be mailed to Wyoming.

1-IMG_2752.JPG

I row the boat, she ties most of the flies. She deals with struggling to see little things, I deal with avoiding guide boats on the river(s). It's a fair trade.
She tied flies until we got married, then that stopped real quick for some reason. However, she helps by getting behind the oars. Actually, come to think of it, I don't remember her rowing much since we got married ;).

We hardly fish big rivers using the drift boat anymore since having kids. It's a bit crazy out there on the big rivers.

My bench has became a "collect all" station right now but that's about to change. I have to get ready for June in the Smoky Mountains and Cumberland. I tie a variety of patterns because I usually fish a variety of waters. Midge nymphs on the Cumberland tailwaters, yellow Sallie for the Smoky, and terrestrial for summer.
20170128_162853.jpg

20170128_163203.jpg
Big drake spinner that I have some luck on in good hatches on the Mad here in Ohio

20170128_163519.jpg
Yellow Sally for Smoky Mountains

I've been too busy finishing the basement this winter. Good thing is when it's done I'll have a room dedicated to tying and reloading. Just have to buy a small beer fridge for it and I'm set to disappear when the wife is nagging. Door knob will also be lockable from the inside

Back