Nebraska Mule Deer

JNett

Been a while since I've been on here. Has anyone hunted western Nebraska public land muleys? Thinking about skipping Wyoming for a year and trying something different. Probably looking at going in Dec. during muzzleloader season. It looks like there are a few large areas of Nat. forest. I would imagine it gets pressured hard during rifle season though. Any thoughts?

I lived down around Arapahoe and Alma for awhile. The public land around there got hit really hard during rifle season, however muzzleloader season was very quiet. Hopefully the western areas you're looking at are the same. Best of luck

Reving this thread. Does anyone have any more light to shed? Also tossing idea around of possibly going for muzzleloader.

Where are you planning on hunting at? there is a very large area that is a Mule Deer Conservation area and a Muzzleloader tag is not good for a Muley in that area. Get on Nebrakska Game and Parks website and look up the permits and it shows the map of the area that is a no go for muleys without a special tag which are always sold out.

Busses Ntnl Forest at Halsey or Thedford is where I’m looking. They were among highest county of mule deer taken. It’s out of the conservation area from what I can tell.

I'm heading down there on Sat. Kind of a last min I have vaca that I need to burn so what the heck trip. I'll let you know what I find. It looks like it will be a solid 50 degrees warming there so at least it will be nice for midday naps in the glassing hills..........

Sounds good! Goodluck, looking forward to hearing how it goes. I’m curious if I should go on the west side near Thedford or stay by the woods by Halsey?

I just got back from a weekend of hunting with my son. I was surprised on how low the densities were. We put in a lot of miles in a proposed wilderness areas and didnt see much. I had a good time and will go back, but its not the same type of deer that you are hunting in Wyoming, from what I saw.

I just spent a week staying in Crawford, found whitetail in the Ponderosa area and some mules on the south side of the road. The Bighorn area is a little better for mule deer but you will have to go to the south end of the area. Fort Robinson in the NE corner was were we seen the most mule deer. Did not see any thing big but there is a ton of deer around the area.

Good Luck

Thank you for sharing your hunt info, I’m not looking for a monster. Just a nice mature mule deer for my first one. I will give those areas more consideration.

Sent you a PM Ohio.

We hunted McKelvie, Val NWR and Bessy. Buddy shot a 4pt and I messed up a stalk on another 4pt. Stalk and realeased a few small bucks. Cool country. Almost like driving on a beach at times.
9847.jpg

Nicely done! Did you see many upland birds on those NWR? I've thought about a run in that direction next year with my dog.

Yea a decent number of grouse. I was wishing I had my shorthair and shotgun. Saw some type of quail too.

Looks like a great buck to me! I’d be tickled to be able to have a shot at a mule deer like that for my first.

Nicely done! Did you see many upland birds on those NWR? I've thought about a run in that direction next year with my dog.

I would definitely go out there for sharptail grouse based on what I have seen across the properties, NWR and NF, but I would do it early in the season. In the few years I've deer hunted out there the grouse are flushing at 50-80 yards by November. This year we were walking out and noted that it was the first time we had flushed birds within range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back