thompson encore

I had an encore 209x50 with a laminated thumbhole stock. Happiest day with it was the day I sold it. Very accurate but not worth the weight or that giant stock jabbing into your side while walking.

I had one about a dozen years ago. It shot great and I killed a couple of deer with it. It had a regular stock and I couldn't get used to the pistol grip area being so large, (at least for me). Shortly there after went with a T/C hawken so I sold it. If it fits you buy one.

I enjoy shooting mine. They can be very accurate, especially with a little work... http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/
I have the 209x50, .300WM, and a .243 barrel. Fun to play with and shoot. Have used mine for deer and yotes here in VA.
Wouldn't be my first choice to carry around in the mountain west...unless of course I had a 7mm-HT barrel for it :rolleyes:

I have a related question.
I have a Thompson Encore with a couple of rifle barrels (45-70, 270), and love it.
There are muzzy barrels available for the Encore, so I would just have to buy a barrel.
Here's the dilemma: I can buy a muzzy barrel for my Encore for over $300, OR I can buy a CVS Optima 2 for $280 for the whole dang gun!
I love the Encore, but I'm having a hard time justifying the extra money just for the barrel.
Can someone convince me that the barrel option is the way to go?
I just don't see it right now.

Thanks.

--Dana

I have a related question.
I have a Thompson Encore with a couple of rifle barrels (45-70, 270), and love it.
There are muzzy barrels available for the Encore, so I would just have to buy a barrel.
Here's the dilemma: I can buy a muzzy barrel for my Encore for over $300, OR I can buy a CVS Optima 2 for $280 for the whole dang gun!
I love the Encore, but I'm having a hard time justifying the extra money just for the barrel.
Can someone convince me that the barrel option is the way to go?
I just don't see it right now.

Thanks.

--Dana

Short answer: NO don't buy an encore barrel

Last edited:
Agreed, buy another gun.

Also this is the reason why most people end up getting rid of them. They sound great but you can buy equal quality guns for dang near the same price as a barrel.

The only guys I've heard that truly take advantage are guys wanting new calibers and hide barrels from their wives easier than a gun.

Agreed, buy another gun.

Also this is the reason why most people end up getting rid of them. They sound great but you can buy equal quality guns for dang near the same price as a barrel.

The only guys I've heard that truly take advantage are guys wanting new calibers and hide barrels from their wives easier than a gun.

Not that that's what I had in mind <cough cough>...

Yep, I'm pretty much convinced to do the new gun route.
Not getting rid of the TC, though. I really do love the two barrels I have, and the thing is dead-on accurate.
Plus, I like the idea of single-shot. Makes me practice more. I can't tell you how many times I have sat overlooking a nice creek bottom or hollow, waiting for the whitetails to pay a visit, and heard 5-6 shots in a row two ridges over. Just makes me shake my head.

--Dana

I've got this gun with a muzzle loader and 7mm barrel. I've been using it for about 7 years now. Both barrels have been very accurate, and they are very easy to change out. The gun is also compact, so it is easy to carry through brush and maneuver in a tree stand or blind. I don't have the thumbhole stock, so there has been no issue with it jabbing me in the side as someone else pointed out. The only downside of course is that it is a single shot.

That being said, I do prefer my bolt action for rifle season, but the muzzle loader is hard to beat.

Last edited:
I have had a pro hunters my 209x50 shot the best. 1.75 group at 100. And I had 22-250 and a 7mm mag, trigger was heavy. I like the fact that you can change barrels. But $200+ Used a barrel why not buy a cheap ruger American or savage axis and have 3+ rounds for quick follow up. If you hunt Ohio and a strait cases brassed bullet, and shoot an odd caliber like .375 win, 450 bushmaster, or 45-60 go for it. I can see why people like them, but not for me.

Last edited:
Several years ago the TV deer hunters were pushing the TC Encores's much like they push the Rage broadheads now. They bragged about them being 200 yard plus guns, etc. Made it sound like if you weren't using one of these, you weren't hunting.

I bought the TC Encore in 45 cal muzzle loader and have been less than impressed. The fit and feel of the stock to start with is weird with so much drop in the stock and the fat pistol grip, much more carbine like than rifle like. I've also spend a whole lot of range time experimenting with different load / bullet combinations, cleaning between each shot, etc. and have never gotten great accuracy. A 4" group at 100 yards is about the best this thing will do, and no way would I want to attempt a 200 yard shot with it, maybe 150 max.

Over rated, over promoted, average guns at best.

I have an Encore I originally purchased it about 20 years ago on a .308 handgun. It is a tack driver and harvested countless deer with it. I have since purchased a rifle configuration in 7mm R.E.M. Mag and have killed mule deer with it. I was going to get a 209x50 barrel for it but could get a T/C Impact a lot cheaper than the barrel. I don't see how T/C can sell a complete gun cheaper than a barrel???

I love my pro hunter I have a wide arrangement of barrels for it from the offset 22lr to the 460, 223, 308, 300 wm and 209x50. If you like it and are confident with it use it. Mine shoots better than I can, but I would suggest a trigger job with it

Attachments

• 20141004_125345.jpg
    20141004_125345.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 324

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back