Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Son's First Sandhill Crane Hunt

noharleyyet

Said it was a blast...I'm going to have to go with him.

Ken Jr.2nd from left

The expression flying ribeyes is accurate....I was skeptical but now convinced.

...grilled...delicious

...breaded & deep fried @ 360*...also delicious

Yea I'll bet it was a blast! What state is that just out of curiosity? They used to migrate through ND pretty heavy but I haven't seen many in the last 5-10 years.

Gotta head over to the Big River and hunt them.See tons of them and keep hearing how good they are.

Gotta head over to the Big River and hunt them.See tons of them and keep hearing how good they are.

Just an fyi Hank (I assume you are talking about the Rio Grande) the cranes in central NM are of the "greater" variety and hunting that population is much more restrictive. NM gets about 300 permits a year and are distributed via a lottery just like applying for big game, you have to plan way ahead. I think the permit only gets you a 2-bird limit and a 2 day hunt, last time I had one was in 2005. Those birds weigh about 12 pounds. The "lesser" Sandhil Cranes are in eastern NM and TX and are much more abundant and seasons and bag limits are very liberal. Don't know the exact weight but I think the "lessers" are about 1/2 the size of the "greater" variety.

Last edited:
Very cool! I've had permits for them in UT but never did close the deal. I think I could dig a trip for them.

That is awesome. Both pictures of the food look delicious, but my mouth is watering looking at that breaded and deep fried ribeye of the sky pic!

I've heard many people use the term "ribeye of the sky," I think those steak pics made a believer out of me! Another trip I'm going to have to add to my list.

I love hunting cranes. Its like the flying big game of Montana. I have one coming back from the taxidermist in a couple months. I'll make sure to post when I figure out where to put it.

I saw a shit load while in Texas 3 weeks ago. I've never seen congregations of cranes like that up here. I'd love to see some pictures of their spread/decoy setup!

I saw a shit load while in Texas 3 weeks ago. I've never seen congregations of cranes like that up here. I'd love to see some pictures of their spread/decoy setup!

Group of cranes is called: sedge, herd, or swoop. A chit load refers to amount of taxes one pays, paperwork one has to do to get seen at a VA hospital, or amount rhetoric a politician speaks in a minute.

Awesome - I went for my first hunt this year and exposed the fact I had never shot at birds before when I wiffed on two passing by. Congrats to your son!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back