Suggestions for a good Elk cartridge?

It seems that many folks are absolutely scared sh*tless of recoil. If you hunt turkeys with 2+ ounce loads you can handle recoil. There are some excellent recoil pads that can tame 416 Rigby 400gr shots, (Decelerator, Sorbocoil, and Kickeze) to name a few. All of the cartridges mentioned will kill elk when they give the hunter a perfect presentation for a lung shot, but what happens when the elk are in deep north slope forest and its your last day of an expensive ten day hunt. All the hunter has is a quartering hip shot at 275 yards. Robert Ruark said "Use enough gun." I'll add and use the right bullet, lots have been mentioned. One that will penetrate through the bones of the pelvis and through a couple feet of wet soggy browse to reach the lungs and heart and even break the shoulder. If you are a local you can turn down the shot and come back another day, not so much if you're from out of state. This means you need to practice shooting at ranges and using real life rests. Shoot prone, sitting using a back pack or a log as a rest, using the bullets and load you'll be using for your hunt and at all ethical ranges. My suggestion would be any of the 30 mags or 338 mags. Some even go for the 375 H&H mag. You can use lesser calibers just remember to pick your shots and turn down those that aren't right, and use the best bullets. And last but not least, you can use that rifle on that griz/brown bear hunt you always wanted to take. GJ

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the caliber that you have. If you want another one, there are many to choose from. If you want a short action, it would be hard to improve on a 7-08, or .308.

There is a plethora of good calibers and with the quality bullets that are available today, any will do fine on elk.

I'm a little late to this thread and you've been offered a lot of great advice as far as calibers and cartridges go. I have enough guns that more or less duplicate each other when it comes to ballistics and effectiveness on game, so I am definitely not a ONE gun guy.

But one thing to consider that I don't think was addressed. If it was I apologize. If you're hunting a lot in the mountains then weight is your enemy. You will carry a rifle all day, everyday, and only shoot it a few times at most. Given that, if you were going to buy a new gun I would think lighter weight. You don't have to be crazy light, but it's amazing what one pound difference will feel like. I ended up selling a Winchester model 70 in .338 Win Mag and buying a Kimber .300 WSM. Very noticeable after the end of a long day.

As others have said, you could dress up your old '06 with a new, even lighter stock. Or you could contract the incurable disease and start buying more guns:)

Buy a 308 that you like, fits, and handles well......then send to JES and get it rebored to a 338 Fed. You can thank me later, by a dinner invitation ! :)

Original post
I own a 30.06 Remington that has kind of been used an abused over the years. Im looking for something that would be light to moderate in the recoil realm. Any suggestions and opinons would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.

I think you have answered your own question right here.
Just about anything that increases ballistics will also increase recoil.

If you are comfortable with the recoil of your 30-06, then use it.

You say it’s been used and abused over the years. I would take the “new gun” money, evaluate your 30-06 and perhaps up-grade it. Make a western “elk rifle” out of it.
Possibly glass bed it into a new composite stock. That can reduce recoil, weight and improve accuracy.
A new scope might be in order. A new, weather resistant finish like Teflon, ro-bar or dura-coate.

I say just work more on shot placement, practice. And deter yourself from the Magnum phenomenon. I'd rather shoot more, and cheaper and still get the job done.

I am new to the forum also, but will weigh in also. I hunt with a Thompson Contender pistol in either .309JDJ or a .375JDJ and killed a bull elk in New Mexico 2 years ago. It comes down to shot placement and in my case, my shot was a little high and hit the top of his lungs and missed the heart. He only went about 20 yards and crashed. My son is starting to hunt with me this year and we are building him a rifle in either .260 or .270.

Whatever you get, just practice! get off the bench and practice like you hunt, off a backpack, sticks, prone, etc.

The old saying that "dead is dead" is true and I have killed elk with my 300WM, 30-06, and one with my 270 WSM. The older I get the less tracking I like, so I switched to 30 Nosler. Hits harder than a .338 and shoots like a 300wm and makes whatever you shoot really, really dead.

lob some lead at close range and go .45-70!
:D

Yep. Those dinky little .30s can reach further but when a 430gr freight train goes through, it's lights out. I love my Marlin Guide Gun. I've shot everything from 150gr collar button bullets to 430gr cast. The whitetail I shot didn't like the 430 too much. Bang flop and very little meat loss. I load mine to about 1600fps and call it good.

To jump on the train, I need some advice for a rifle. Never hunted out west, but hoping to turn it into a habit (or find a job out there and move for the hobbies). I haven't bought the rifle yet due to sticker shock, and not entirely knowing what I want/need.

I'm looking for a gun to use for elk and mule deer, and I kinda like the Browning X-Bolt composite (action, trigger, weight, fit), but can't decide between .308 and 7mm. Short action, short barrel, and cheaper ammo, or more gun with the option to practice at long range? And if I ever say goodbye to my current 270, will the 7mm be overkill for whitetail? I hunt for meat, not antlers, so I'd like to not destroy the animal.

Other less serious considerations are 7mm-08 and 300 Win Mag, but I don't know enough about the 7mm-08 ballistics or ammo selection and price to judge, and I know the 300 is overkill for Ozarks whitetail (and not so good for the wallet, either).

I own a Ruger Model 44 and some oddball custom .270 with a Mauser action and an oversized wood stock that weighs more than it should. I grew up in IL, and chase whitetail in MO, so I'm set on rifles for stands or drives when I hunt with the family. Also have a rifled 12ga, but that's another story.

Side note- I could borrow a Ruger American 270 to chase elk this fall, if anyone could recommend the right ammo. But I'd rather not borrow, since I can't practice with the gun regularly.

Last edited:
I really like my 300 wsm. I put through 180gr accubonds. My gun really likes that round. I've also seen a 7mm mag with 165 gr Hornady rounds do work too. You will never go wrong with the 30-06 though.

I am considering a 6.5 creedmoor. I have a 30.06 but can't get close enough to make what I would consider an accurate, lethal shot.

There are always going to be arguments or at least some disagreement on rifle calibers for different game.For good reason!
All people are individually different in what fits them or what they think they like or maybe just what makes them feel better.
The 6.5 Creed more is recently popular, but power is similar to older favorites like the 6 mm, 243, 7 mm 08,and is less powerful than the 308 or even another overlooked cartridge the 260 REM..Mid size calibers are probably the better choice for all around performance.The 270,280rem.,30-06 are great for most game and don't beat a fella too hard if chambered in a well balanced rifle.
If you want mag. like performance for shots over 400yds. ,but not mag like recoil ,then some of the new short magnums like the 270 wsm, or 300wsm might fit the bill.Older rifles in 264wm, 6.5x284 Norma,or 7mm REM. mag are flat shooters and moderately recoiled. Lots prefer the upper end of the scale for long to extreme shots such as the 300 ultra mag., 338 Lapua, or some new offering like the 6.5 -300 weatherby .These larger offerings are powerful, but most may never be able to get good use from a rocket launcher or ever have the skill set to shoot as accurately as with a smaller rock chucker.
Personally, I don't try to use the same tool for all jobs.This is why we have so many calibers to begin with and why the good Lord created free will.So that we can choose the one we love or the one we love to do the job with!
My tool for throwing holes through Eastern whitetails is the REM. 260.For anything bigger the 300 Winchester Magnum in an old Winchester model 70 is the tool I love to do the job with out to 600yrds and if you want the truth it is what makes me feel better!

I am considering a 6.5 creedmoor. I have a 30.06 but can't get close enough to make what I would consider an accurate, lethal shot.
How close are you getting? Buying the flavor of the month may not be the answer. More range time maybe. Maybe better elk hunting skills would be of more help. The .30-06 is a very capable round. With today's bullets, it will kill elk at distances most people don't have the skills to shoot. mtmuley

How far can you shoot?

There.is lots of focus these days on long distance shooting.As hunters we are all responsible for our decisions.You just can't take back a bullet .
It is always a true hunters goal to get as near the target as possible.There will surely be times that you can only get so close, wether it is in our effective range can only be decided by us ,in that moment.The only true way to know your limitations is usually to go past them, but this should be done at the range.
Rifle caliber is obviously important,but no tool can make a craftsman overnight.
That being said, no craftsman can turn out a masterpiece without proper tools.Sure is easier to measure 300ft. with a tape that is ruled to 500ft. instead of 50ft. and probably more accurate most of the time.
I like optics with ballistic reticuls . That gives fast,easy to read marks to hold on target and coupled with range time will give skill and confidence to do an ethical, accurate job.Can make a not so flat shooting rifle, alot more efficient at hitting the boiler room of an animal.
That 30-06 is great gun and good candidate for this type of scope.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back