Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

First time moose hunter: Northwest Ontario (Apps, Crooked, Action lakes)

F

fwagner

Hey guys,

My father and I are heading out this fall (September 26th - October 3rd) for a first time, unguided, moose hunt in northwest Ontario via Showalters Fly-in outposts (1 bull tag, 1 cow tag). We will be hunting, unguided, on Apps, Crooked, and Action lakes for anyone who is familiar with the area. I have a few questions in regards to equipment, terrain, and tactics that I was hoping you guys could help me with. A little background on me and my father. We have been elk hunting the Grand Mesa National forest for the last 10 years. I tagged along on my buddies first moose hunt in Idaho that lasted literally 30 minutes, he REALLY did his homework when it came to scouting, so I didn't get much experience as far as calling goes but learned a few things in terms of breaking down the moose in comparison to elk. So I'll list some questions below and I thank you all for your help!!

1.) Anyone familiar with what kind of terrain I might be experiencing in that part of Ontario? Really marshy where ever you go?

2.) Assuming waders are needed what kind of waders do you recommend? Can I bring my duck hunting neoprene chest waders and change in and out of them or is there a brand of waders that will work well by slipping them over my pants and boots?

3.) Any scouting suggestions? How do I approach a giant lake and look at google earth and find potential spots if possible?

4.) Everything I have heard, read, is that moose take their sweet ass time coming to calls and you need to be very very patient. Also the last place you call the previous night should be the first place you try the next morning. Any other calling tips? I have a aspen bark homemade cow call and a scapula from a small bull to use for raking trees.

5.) Are moose active at night? Is night scouting in terms of listening for calls a good strategy?

6.) Do moose hear boat motors coming from miles away and turn the other way or are they somewhat not bothered by them?

Thanks again!!!

Hey guys,

My father and I are heading out this fall (September 26th - October 3rd) for a first time, unguided, moose hunt in northwest Ontario via Showalters Fly-in outposts (1 bull tag, 1 cow tag). We will be hunting, unguided, on Apps, Crooked, and Action lakes for anyone who is familiar with the area. I have a few questions in regards to equipment, terrain, and tactics that I was hoping you guys could help me with. A little background on me and my father. We have been elk hunting the Grand Mesa National forest for the last 10 years. I tagged along on my buddies first moose hunt in Idaho that lasted literally 30 minutes, he REALLY did his homework when it came to scouting, so I didn't get much experience as far as calling goes but learned a few things in terms of breaking down the moose in comparison to elk. So I'll list some questions below and I thank you all for your help!!

1.) Anyone familiar with what kind of terrain I might be experiencing in that part of Ontario? Really marshy where ever you go?

2.) Assuming waders are needed what kind of waders do you recommend? Can I bring my duck hunting neoprene chest waders and change in and out of them or is there a brand of waders that will work well by slipping them over my pants and boots?

3.) Any scouting suggestions? How do I approach a giant lake and look at google earth and find potential spots if possible?

4.) Everything I have heard, read, is that moose take their sweet ass time coming to calls and you need to be very very patient. Also the last place you call the previous night should be the first place you try the next morning. Any other calling tips? I have a aspen bark homemade cow call and a scapula from a small bull to use for raking trees.

5.) Are moose active at night? Is night scouting in terms of listening for calls a good strategy?

6.) Do moose hear boat motors coming from miles away and turn the other way or are they somewhat not bothered by them?

Thanks again!!!

I hunt moose in Alaska, but I highly recommend a eastern Canada based 6-hour DVD series:
https://moosemadnessproductions.com/

I also recommend the 5 calling tips:
http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/5-moose-hunting-lessons

And the 3-day moose hunting strategy:
http://www.alaskaremote.com/my-3-day-strategy-for-moose-hunting-success

My Alaska moose hunts are typically wet hunts.
I recommend stocking-foot breathable waders, because you can turn them inside out to dry over night.
Dry feet are happy feet.

I also recommend packing in a tarp to serve as a rain shelter from your glassing location.
You need to be comfortable in rain for long periods and a tarp overhead sure helps.
The tarp can serve double-duty as a clean surface to place moose quarters on while butchering.

Also be prepared for a moose shot on dry land, but walking into and dropping in water.
A rope come-along is invaluable when that happens....
Moose hindquarters can weight 100+ pounds, so be prepared for many heavy packs.

I also like ear muffs that amplify sound as a grunting bull maybe difficult to ear if he
is way out...bull grunts can sound very subtle to humans.

As far as scouting, I try to find an elevated location where I can glass long distances and
have the predominant wind direction from me into a lake. Bulls like to circle in
to try to catch your scent, with a lake downwind of my calling location, they are
less likely to catch my scent.

Moose hunting requires patience and always a positive attitude.
Warnng: it can be very addictive...enjoy your wilderness experience.

Last edited:
I have fished in that same region out of Sioux Lookout. The lakes and landings are really rocky and then the ground is like a bottomless sponge. We portaged 3/4 of a mile on a trail and it was nearly an hour long endeavor. It wasn't that it was wet as much as there wasn't a hard bottom to a lot of the ground. I am on the waitlist to moose hunt up there and everything already listed is what I have heard. Call from camp, call at night then come back in the morning, Call in the morning come back in the evening that rolls around big boulders.

I don't think you want neoprene waders, I think you want more like the breathable type for that type of hunting. More mobile and easier on and off. There isn't a good way around taking off boots for waders. I'd probably wear hip boot waders all the time with chest waders when necessary.

You are spending a decent chunk of money on this hunt. My #1 bit of advice is to buy the "Gouthro's Moose Madness" DVD set, watch it, and practice your calling. It is worth every single penny and will answer every question that you have.

Here is my dad's moose hunting story from Minnesota the last year we had a hunt. https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?254066-2012-Minnesota-Moose-Hunt-The-Story The terrain in Canada where you are hunting will be pretty similar.

I also hunted Minnesota the prior year and shot a bull using Gouthro's techniques. I called in multiple bulls that I passed, including one at under 10 yards. They come right in, grunting and slobbering. There is nothing like it!

I know a guy who guided moose hunters for Showalter's for a few years. If you want I can ask him about those lakes.

You are spending a decent chunk of money on this hunt. My #1 bit of advice is to buy the "Gouthro's Moose Madness" DVD set, watch it, and practice your calling. It is worth every single penny and will answer every question that you have.

Here is my dad's moose hunting story from Minnesota the last year we had a hunt. https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?254066-2012-Minnesota-Moose-Hunt-The-Story The terrain in Canada where you are hunting will be pretty similar.

I also hunted Minnesota the prior year and shot a bull using Gouthro's techniques. I called in multiple bulls that I passed, including one at under 10 yards. They come right in, grunting and slobbering. There is nothing like it!

I know a guy who guided moose hunters for Showalter's for a few years. If you want I can ask him about those lakes.

Please do! Thanks for the advice everyone!

Can't say enough how much have a cable come-along and some strong rope helped me on getting my Shiras bull moose broken down. Just getting the hind quarters cut off the carcass would have been a very long and dangerous wrestling match. With the come-along and rope around a nearby tree on one end and through the rear leg tendon on the other the process was cut, tighten the come-along, cut, tighten, cut, tighten. I was solo until the pack out process so was a huge advantage but even if had two guys helping me on my next moose the come-along is getting used.

I also used a meat packer backpack with a shelf and some small ratchet straps to secure the game bag(s) tight against the frame. Was nice not have the load slip and shift as hiked over uneven ground.

Last bit of advice, have a saw (cordless sawzall would be amazing) and a have a way to sharpen knives. The replaceable blade knives are great for the small cuts but a longer knife is handy for some cuts and the blade will dull so have a sharpener.

Good luck on the adventure!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back