Blue Quail in Black Gap WMA - West Texas

TN Wild Man

Cross post from "Other Small Game"

Hello,

I've got some time off from work coming up in the beginning of February and my plan is to make the long drive from Houston to Big Bend National Park and do some tent camping and just basically take a few days to get away from the big city. I've never been to Big Bend, and while I was checking things out on the intweweb I noticed the eastern edge of the NP butts up against the 100,000+ acre Black Gap Wildlife Management Area. Based on what what I've read online dove, quail, and rabbits will all be in season when I am planning on making my trip. Access to hunt the WMA requires the purchase of a special Annual Hunting Permit in addition to the regular TPWD hunting license.

First off, I am curious if anyone else on the board has experiences they'd be willing to share from Black Gap WMA. There are some primitive campsites on the WMA, but it appears to be a very low traffic area.

Second, I've never gone hunting for dove, quail, or desert rabbits so I'd love to hear about the feasibility of hunting these species by myself. I'm taking this trip alone, and I suspect there is a lot more to it than just wandering around with a shotgun.

I am headed out to the western side of Texas to do some camping regardless of the hunting, but once I started reading a little about the WMA I got the idea in my head that spending a couple of days camping out away from the crowds at Big Bends and getting in a little bird and rabbit hunting might be a really nice little bonus to add onto my trip.

Thanks!

I've hunted Black Gap twice. We did kill some nice mule deer when we were there but they are vary scarce. The quail were even more scarce. We did not see a single quail but it would still be fun to hike around and look for some! It's a beautiful place.

Sheff

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back