Hello from Fort Drum/Fort Carson

ifyouaintcav

Hello, First I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for continuing the hunting tradition that has meant so much to me growing up hunting with my grandfathers and father. I am currently serving on active duty in the Army, stationed in Ft. Drum, NY but moving to Ft. Carson CO in less than a week now. My mos in the Army is Cavalry Scout; sorry to all the Infantry brotherin out there but if you aint cav. A little background. I grew up hunting in the hills and hollers of western VA and WV for whitetail deer and eastern wild turkey. With my upcoming move to CO I am going to be able to realize a lifelong dream of hunting elk in the rocky mountains, as well as pronghorn, mule deer, and merriams turkey. Might possibly even slip over to KS for some monster whitetails. However with that being said I am new to western hunting, and any help yal could pass my way would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I am wrong but it seems like hunting elk during the rut is a combination of my favorite hunting, spring turkey, with my second favorite, whitetail, plus a couple hundred pounds. I can honestly not tell you how excited I am to have the opportunity to match wits with some of the finest creatures on this planet.

Thanks for your service. Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your Colorado hunts.

ifyouaintcav,

First off thank for for your service to this great country! Second my son was a CAV airborne scout stationed at fort richarderson Ak. You two have a little in common. Welcome to the forum and good luck on your hunts. Most of all safe safe when deployed!

Thank you both for your warm welcomes, Big Fin and sneakypete. sneakypete thank your son for me, my parents now live in AK so I'm hoping to try and get up to Richardson or Wainwright to share some hunts with my father, the one who bought me my first rifle and bow and took me on my first hunt, on some Alaskan game. Big Fin, thank you for fighting the good fight and spreading knowledge and awareness of our public lands. Without that access many of us, including myself, would be left with nothing; as well as, for your informative and inspirational videos. I've sat and watched hours of them. My wife can attest to that.

Back