Yeti GOBOX Collection

NM chances

prhunter

What chances does a non resident have of actually drawing a Valle Vidal or Valleys Caldera elk hunt?

Honestly, since they lowered tags to 6% for NR,most units are way under 10% draw odds and That covers most units. It's pretty depressing but I apply anyway

I always thought I hunted National Forest... Not much State.

Part of the problem with New Mexico odds are the landowner tag system. At least from What I understand. Landowners keep wanting more and more tags. But that cuts into the tags available to draw. At least that was the gist of an article I can no longer find. I may be wrong. SB196 really sucks.

Landowner tags would be in addition to, if they didn't allow those tags to hunt NF (unit wide). Seems to me if the landowner tags were just for private land, and they were distributed accordingly, there would be more tags for the public in the draw......am I missing something?

Wildlife belong to the state. Best case scenario, biologists set the harvest goals and then out of that fall the tag allocation based on historical success rates for hunters. The rifle hunt may be 90% harvest so can give a few more tags than harvest goal while late season archery may be 20% harvest so can give 5x the tags vs. harvest goal.

To claim landowner tags are not part of the equation is silly. An example is the desert bighorn allocation. Whether than landowner sells access to a hunter drawing the tag or a hunter buying the tag with access, NM is going to allowing a certain number of desert rams to be harvested. End the landowner program and more tags go in the public draw. Access may be expensive to hunt the herd on private land but access at a high enough price is all but certain.

I'm in an outside the COER unit.RO.
Any 5 consecutive days for 3 mo's.
Take the tags away from LO & you have lots more folks hunting the same public lands at the same time.
And you will see ranchers get pissed again and access even harder.Elk will be shot by these folks,they have wiped them out before.
Elk will just go to the private to get away from pressure,like MT.
As far as just letting any one any time on your land,good luck with that.
I let draw hunters I know or have met hunt my land. Sometimes.

I was looking at the NM odds and they have certainly not got any better in the last ten years. Then again, I am not sure any western state has. Long odds or point creep, pick your poison. Big Fins position of drawing a tag at every opportunity regardless of the unit makes a lot of sense.

Didn't mean to stir the pot. I did read that somewhere but couldn't remember if the source was viable. So thanks for the clarification.

I'm sure Hank and others can clarify this as well...but I was told LO that have a unit wide tag have to allow public access. Any map will still show it as private however. Is that correct?

You didn't stir the pot. Mis information gets put out on the net, sometimes on purpose. Certainly not your fault.

The LO that has unit wide tags, must allow access to the area that is signed up for the UW vouchers under the E-plus program. That land may not be all they own.
Back when I was buying vouchers, I filed a public info request to obtain the maps the dept had on file. The clarity varied from chicken scratch to a FS map with excellent boundary markings. The Dept has been lax in their legislated obligation to require every LO to provide an accurate map of the enrolled properties.

Last edited:
A government agency being lax? I'm shocked.

I understand the purpose of ranch only authorizations. But never understood the reasoning behind unit wide

Regarding odds. I think 2 things have factored into odds for non residents. The first being the obvious in sb196 which reduced the tags for non residents. The second being the economy picking back up.

It doesnt hurt to make one of those hunts your first choice. I'm sure you know, but NM looks at all 3 of your choices before going on to the next guy. I almost always make my 1st choice a 'hail mary' tag and I'm a resident.

Think about the muzzleloader hunt for VV, they're still bugeling during that hunt and, according to the website that Lopehunter posted, your odds are significantly better than the rifle hunt.

It's a different area, but I have been drawn only once in 27 years for Sargent area in Chama, NM (unit 4). I thought they just didn't like Louisiana folks, but it seems they don't care too much for ANY non-residents. But I guess being drawn once is better than none.

Ditto Ingrams post. Wish,hope most likely.123
I usually get 2nd picks.
Some great mz hunts.
As for UW LO tags & maps.
I'm in outside the COER unit 12.RO & Small Contributing Ranches(a few). I submitted my deeded property discription/survey,BLM map overlay, and a USGS topo overlay with property features marked(water sources).
ES hunts are in Sept.& MB,Antlerless(cow) hunts are any 5 consecutive days Oct.1st-Dec31st. Only good on deeded lands.

The UW places I understand have to do same(submit map w/boundaries) & allow other hunters to use the land too,but never given a straight answer. The tags are for same time as the draw hunts,meaning everybody at same time.
I have never found one decent map and most are fenced.locked & posted private no trespassing.

And you were lucky to hunt a WMA.They are Resident only now I believe, like all the cow draw tags.
I used to draw some great tags for NM as NR. I draw some decent ones as a resident now every so often.
Better odds than anywhere else for me.

Last edited:
My first elk hunting was unit 10 2nd archery. People have had a mixed bag there. Some love it. Some won't go back. I was on elk all but the first few days. As new as I was I enjoyed the unit. Looks like they had 70% odds with an outfitter for the first archery. That may be my 3rd choice this year.

I believe the Caldera is the highest demand hunt in the state. Valle Vidal is definitely up there too. Last year, 165 non-residents applied for the first VV rifle hunt and 87 applied for the second. And 142 non-residents applied for first rifle in the Caldera and 83 applied for the second. In all cases, only one non-res tag is issued. Your draw odds definitely increase for second season. Sadly, archery and muzzleloader odds are really no better. All sit between 0.4-0.6% for non-residents. But someone has to draw those tags. There are no guarantees in elk hunting but those units are about as good as it gets for harvest opportunities. Good luck.

PS
A couple decent backup options for your consideration: Unit 53 right next door to VV has pretty good draw odds for non-res (~25%) and about 25% harvest rates. 6C is right next to the Caldera and has 15% non-res draw odds with 21% success.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back