Gopher(Ground Squirrel) Relocation

Nameless Range

My brother-in-law bought a house on 20 acres a few years ago. It is in a small valley in the foothills of the Highland Range. He made a joking comment that the only thing it was missing was some gophers (ground squirrels) for recreational shooting purposes. I on the other hand, have a gopher problem, as do my neighbors, which got me thinking.

Using live traps, could I catch a bunch of gophers, keep them alive for a week or two while I amassed a population robust enough for transplant, and then turn them loose at my BIL's?

Questions:

1. Is this legal? Google has failed me.
2. Would chicken feed and water be enough to keep them alive for a couple weeks?
3. Would I need to dig some "starter holes" for them at my BIL's ahead of time?
4. His property has water and "gopherish" topography and vegetation - if I had this done by mid June, would that give them enough time to establish homes that would survive winter?
5. How many gophers do you think I'd need?
6. Would quitting my job and becoming a Gopher Broker be a good career move for me?

As much fun as those things are for shooting, I'd be afraid of a them taking over and moving into his neighbors properties. Potential lawsuit waiting to happen??

As much fun as those things are for shooting, I'd be afraid of a them taking over and moving into his neighbors properties. Potential lawsuit waiting to happen??

That's a good point. I know that one of his neighbors has gophers, because he is hoping they move to his parcel. So moving forward, let's say everything is hypothetical. Maybe even hypothetically illegal. If He owned two thousand acres though, could it be pulled off?

Last edited:
I believe that it would technically be illegal, but you could call FWP and find out for sure.

Is it legal? - I don't think so. At the very least, it is not advisable given the potential for moving pathogens between populations. "Bucket biology" translocations of small mammals from the southeastern US has been identified as the single biggest contributor to the expansion of rabies through the entire eastern US.

If he really wants gophers, he would probably be better off making his place attractive to dispersers from the neighbor's place.

Good, responsible points I had not thought of.

Looks like Southwest Montana Gopher Brokers is a failed startup. Thanks for the replies.

You're thinking too low tech anyway. Technology is the wave of the future...surely there's a market for electronic, self healing gopher targets that can be deployed in a "colony"-like scenario and programmed to pop up randomly to provide a realistic gopher shooting experience? Sort of a ballistic Whack-A-Mole idea. I would think any die-hard gopher shooter would want to install a course on their property. Think big, man!

You're thinking too low tech anyway. Technology is the wave of the future...surely there's a market for electronic, self healing gopher targets that can be deployed in a "colony"-like scenario and programmed to pop up randomly to provide a realistic gopher shooting experience? Sort of a ballistic Whack-A-Mole idea. I would think any die-hard gopher shooter would want to install a course on their property. Think big, man!

So true. Good thing I am not a business man. Southwest Montana Gopher Brokers would have been the Myspace of the gopher brokering industry.

Back