Yeti GOBOX Collection

mule deer or whitetail?

VAspeedgoat

I was cleaning out my office and came across theses. They are my father in laws who unfortunately passed many years ago. He had grown up in Georgia so I had always assumed they were just a tall tined Georgia whitetail. Now, having limited experience out west, I am wondering if they aren't off a mule deer. He spent many years out west from Arizona to Montana before returning home. The short brow tines made me wonder. Hopefully the pictures are ok. I put a yardstick down to try and give some length reference.

Attachments

• KIMG0369_zpsnvekqpfj.jpg
    KIMG0369_zpsnvekqpfj.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 472
  • KIMG0368_zpsihwe0cy2.jpg
    KIMG0368_zpsihwe0cy2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 466
  • KIMG0367_zpsd3eyriaf.jpg
    KIMG0367_zpsd3eyriaf.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 469
small eye guard, and length of g2 make me think Mulie

You guys are great! Thanks. He passed when my wife was just 14, so some stories are left unfinished. The places he went out west are very special to her family. This will add to those places and stories. Thanks again.

mule deer. The beading near the burr and brow tine is the way to tell. The beading on a whitetail will be in lines running up the antler. A mule deer many have some lines but for the most part the beading is much more hap-hazard. There is of course exceptions to every rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back