Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

My East Crazies Trespassing Trial

RobG

Not much is going to happen until next month, but Brett French somehow got wind of my trespassing trial so I gave him an interview. http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyl...cle_82e7e7d1-e7af-53a9-8560-2218a875ec7f.html

In short, the Hailstone Ranch is having the sheriff write trespassing tickets to anyone that uses a century old trail that passes through his property. While many landowners post public trails, usually the Sheriff wants to stay out of it because it is very difficult to prove "without a shadow of a doubt" that there is no easement on the particular trail. It is a waste of the court's time. The fact that a ticket has been written has raised concerns and hopefully it will spur the Forest Service to take on the Hailstone and settle this matter.

I guess my role is to see if the DA is really going to pursue this crap. The sheriff shouldn't have gone out in the first place.

in the article it talks about the forest service doing a trail clearing, marking expedition, any more details on what they did, did they get cited, is there a "agency" easement wear the agencies can use the trail for official matters,,,

Please keep us posted. Without any specific knowledge of the situation I cerainly hope Mr. Gregoire was within his legal rights and the courts rule favorably.

Rob, good luck with your case. Not too many folks willing to take the landowner, county, and sheriff's department to task. Let me know if there is someway to help.

Rob...it talks about corner crossing in the article. Is your case going to finally resolve this long standing gray area for MT?

Also found here:
http://mtstandard.com/lifestyles/ou...cle_bc18bcb2-1a93-5edd-8d68-3beabd2c02fc.html
No - nothing to do with corner crossing. This is just an old trial that goes across private land in order to access public land. It is similar to the Wonder Ranch case on Indian Creek. http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyl...cle_d0639d22-795b-5d3d-8766-5710030781f4.html

I don't want to say too much since eventually I'll say something dumb.

Work is being done behind the scenes to establish a fund that people can contribute to for the legal fees Rob will incur. When that is finalized, we will post it here.

Thanks for standing tall, Rob.

Work is being done behind the scenes to establish a fund that people can contribute to for the legal fees Rob will incur. When that is finalized, we will post it here.

This is great! I'm willing to help.

Good to hear! You can count me in for a contribution.

Rob, thanks for biting the bullet on this one. With the already limited access in that range, we can't afford to loose any more.

Thanks Rob.

I look forward to being able to contribute financially to this cause. You are truly doing a good thing for the sportspeople everywhere! Keep up the good fight.

It would be great if we had some sort of list and log that we could log a hike on some of these trails. Not to agitate the land owners, but to make sure there is continued historical use so that we don't lose them. I would be willing to take a hike on a few trails each year, just to make sure they get used. Again, I AM NOT ADVOCATING TRYING TO BE A NUISANCE, just try to make sure a few people have proof that the trails get used each year. But equally important would be to have some sort of online log of the use of said trails so that its easy to find the record of use.

Hey Rob, I'm not familiar with your particular situation or if this question has been addressed. Do you know why or is it common to have the Sheriff deal with a hunter trespass issue as opposed to the Game Warden?

Rob, good luck with your case. Not too many folks willing to take the landowner, county, and sheriff's department to task.

No doubt. That's a man with some big balls. Will be waiting for Randy to post that link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back