Sleeping Pad Recommendations

I'm 6'4" 240lbs, and I've used a Big Agnes Insulated Q Core pad from the beaches of Texas in the spring to the mountains of Utah in October. It's been great so far. I got the long version.

A good night's sleep!

I know this is a backpacking group, but in the event some may not always backpack in, and tailgate camp, here's my recommendation. I've camped for 45 years or so, and these days, primarily pack in with my horses & mule. I love to back country camp, and because I have two pack animals, I take a small, compact cot. It's barely bigger than a Thermarest in it's bag, and probably weighs 11 lbs. Then, I put the Thermarest on top of it. I think it rivals sleeping in my bed at home!
So, I doubt if you'd want to pack a cot with the support rods, but if you find yourself camping at a trailhead, this is the way I'd go. A cot can be had for $60 or so.

+++++ Exped. I have always slept well when camping, but then I got an Exped syncel. If I could replace the mattress on my bed with it I would. My wife tried it one night and immediately had me order one for her.
I tried a Klymit Inertia Ozone to cut down on weight, but I can sleep better on the ground.

I used a Big Agnes Air Core all last year, bought it before I knew what R-Value was. It has a 0 R-Value and I could definitely tell. My back was cold all night every night for the 7 days of hunting in Colorado. Bought a Therm-a-rest NeoAir XLite yesterday at REI, will try and test it out this weekend.

I have the Big Agnes insulated air core as well, a bit heavier but a bit warmer as well. Love the air inflated bags for a good night sleep.

After more than 10 years of use on a Thermarest Pro Lite4, it finally stopped holding air. I haven't found the leak but the reports here have me thinking I'll send it in under warranty.

I got a new pad this fall for my hunting trips. After going to REI more than once, I'm sure I was getting some wierd looks from the staff, but I narrowed it down to the Big Agnes Q-core (new model) and the Thermarest Neo Air Xlite. I really wanted the XTherm for winter camping ability, but I found it too warm for summer camping. I was sweating just lying on it in the store.

I chose the NeoAir Xlite and I love it. I owuld've tried the All-season if I could find it in a store. Now I see its on Camofire for under $100. I would buy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back