Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sleeping Pad Recommendations

NENate

Let's hear it... What do you guys recommend for a sleeping pad? I'll mostly be sleeping on the ground not a cot.

Thanks,

Nate

The heavier you are, the thicker you need to be comfy. That being said, many brands are very close and possibly made by the same factory. I did see some nice models from Klymit at the SHOT show that I would like to try.

I use a air filled pad and a foam pad on top of it. Both are lightl. I get a better nights sleep

I have two that serve different purposes. The first is an Exped Downmat 9 LW. It's the most comfortable pad I've ever slept on and has kept me warm when sleeping on frozen ground many times. It's held up perfectly for about 7 years now. But, it's slow to inflate and deflate, and is heavy. I recently purchased an Exped Synmat Winterlite MW with a schnozzle bag. It's much lighter and, with the bag, inflates in seconds with zero effort. I've only slept on it a couple of times but it seems very comfortable, though it's narrower with the mummy cut. It does seem more fragile and I haven't used it enough to test it's durability. For an all-around mat I'd choose the Winterlight because of the weight factor. It will be much nicer for backpacking with.

My second choice was going to be the Neo Air, but I went with the Exped for the extra thickness with only a minor weight penalty. I also like the vertical baffles.

I'm a big fan of the Big Agnes Air Core pads. Others have had leaking problems with them, but I haven't to date. Mine's been used for over a decade.

Big Agnes insulated core. Check or leaks thoroughly before first use. I went through three before I got one that didn't leak. But the BA customer service was stellar.

I have two that serve different purposes. The first is an Exped Downmat 9 LW. It's the most comfortable pad I've ever slept on and has kept me warm when sleeping on frozen ground many times. It's held up perfectly for about 7 years now. But, it's slow to inflate and deflate, and is heavy. I recently purchased an Exped Synmat Winterlite MW with a schnozzle bag. It's much lighter and, with the bag, inflates in seconds with zero effort. I've only slept on it a couple of times but it seems very comfortable, though it's narrower with the mummy cut. It does seem more fragile and I haven't used it enough to test it's durability. For an all-around mat I'd choose the Winterlight because of the weight factor. It will be much nicer for backpacking with.

My second choice was going to be the Neo Air, but I went with the Exped for the extra thickness with only a minor weight penalty. I also like the vertical baffles.

I've heard great things about Exped with weight being the only negative. I've used their pillow for a few years now and that thing is money!

I have a Exped mat. It's warm and comfortable but not my choice when backpacking (weight) and after all these years I still can't get use to the internal pump. I used a Big Agnes Air Core for my backpacking needs for a long time, it was nice. But it developed a leak and repeated efforts still couldn't seal it. Now I'm using a Nemo pad. Very similar to the Big Agnes but one big difference is the 'I Beam' design runs horizontal instead of vertical. It's more comfortable on my shoulders and hips for side sleeping. It's also lighter in weight with a higher R rating than my older BA.

Big Agnes insulated core. Check or leaks thoroughly before first use. I went through three before I got one that didn't leak. But the BA customer service was stellar.

I've had poor luck with BA pads and won't be using them again. I think I've sent in 4 or 5 over the years, the welds between the baffles tend to leak after a while. While their CS is stellar, I won't chance sleeping on the hard ground again.

I've been using a Nemo Astolite for the last 4 years. It gets about 30-35 nights of sleep on it a year or more.

One thing I found that helps with longevity/insulation is placing a piece of foam under your pad. I carry a 1/3 of a Thermarest Z lite pad to sit/kneel/sleep on, and for a backup pad should mine fail. Weighs nothing and helps quite a bit. Also works great for all sorts of things like catching blood out of the bottom of your game bag, sitting in the snow, mud, etc. I never leave home without it.

I've had poor luck with BA pads and won't be using them again. I think I've sent in 4 or 5 over the years, the welds between the baffles tend to leak after a while. While their CS is stellar, I won't chance sleeping on the hard ground again.

Day one of a nine day winter-like Tok sheep hunt was the wrong time to develop a leak in the weld on my BA. I spent far too much time in the tent on that hunt due to weather, all of it on hard ground with a partially inflated pad.

If I want the most comfortable night of sleep, I go with my exped mats. I have the Downmat UL7 and the Symmat UL7. Both have been great for four years for me. Now that said...I've decided to switch over to Therm-a-Rest products, and here's why. I purchased a Therm-a-rest Neo Air XLite from REI's scratch & dent section for $14. It said it had a leak, which I figured I could patch at that price. It turned out that the mat had been used and abused. It was leaking bad and the foil insulation inside had delaminated to the point where the silver lining was spitting out the air valve. I was ready to call it a loss and throw it away, but called Cascade Designs (parent company for Therm-a-rest) to see what they would do. Long story short, they have a lifetime warranty as long as it's not something stupid, and even then I feel they'd cover you. They sent me a brand new mat. The next time REI had a scratch/dent sale, I bought four more neo air xlite pads for the same $14 price figuring I'd set up my family and friends, sent them in, and...you guessed it. Two of them were patched and as good as new and the other two were replaced with new product. I expected some ribbing from them about mooching off of their great warranty, but got the opposite. "Thanks for being such great repeat customer!"
All air pads will fail eventually. I feel best putting my $200 (or $14) toward a company that will stand beside it for life.

I've had a extra-long Thermarest for 20 years- it still works great- I'm 6 foot four and weigh 260 or so depending on how much I run around and tie on the feed bag. I'm not nearly as young as I was when I bought that pad in my mid 30's- but I still sleep like a baby on that thing. Highly recommended.

Do yourself a favor and lay on a sea to summit comfort plus before you buy anything else. I fell asleep on the floor of the store. I'm a stomach/side sleeper and it was far and away the most comfortable.

I've been backcountry hiking and hunting for years. I used to just sleep on the ground without a pad. that has gotten too brutal as I've aged. I ended up with several pads in the last 10 years. The Klymit Static V is my latest and favorite for it's weight, size and comfort.

All that said, my kids recently got me into using a hammock instead of a tent. I was skeptical. Now, I'm sold and am an evangelist for hammock camping!

Technique: I put the half inflated matress and sleeping bag into my GI bivy sack and put that all in the ENO doubenest hammock. The bivy sack keeps everything together, adds a bit of warmth and keeps me dry. With a 60ish pound pack, I'm always looking to shed ounces. The hammock shed about 3 lbs from my pack when I leave my REI Halfdome 2 tent (~6 lbs) at home.

The benefits of hammock camping are:
+ more comfortable - softer and no rocks, roots, lumps in your back
+ dryer - you're elevated off the damp ground
+ easier to level - no more sleeping on your head, unless you want to
+ doubles as a chair
+ you have more escape routes and no zippers to deal with except the bivy zipper which is designed for easy opening in emergencies
+ smaller pack size than a tent
+ lighter than a tent

The downsides are:
- somewhat colder - you still need the sleeping pad, not for cushion, but for insulation
- mosquitoes, gnats, etc are more difficult to keep off your face

Here is the Spamazon list for reference:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RFG0NM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JXV2PM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DDTE1E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K30H3O8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thermarest Z lite on the bottom and klymit static v2 on top. The thermrest doubles as a seat cushion during hunting too.

I had a pad in Alaska that had "ribs" going from head to toe versus side to side. I would never do that again as it was nearly impossible to find flat ground to sleep on. I will always buy a pad with "short ribs" just to minimize sliding in the future...

I run the Thermarest Neo-Air X-Therm. Its warm enough, I don't find a need to add a foam pad at all in the winter. Great pad and worth the price!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back