Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Things to do and see in Austin, Texas

Sawtooth

My wife and I will be Austin, Texas for three days next month and was wondering if any of you guys could fill us in on things we should see or do while we are there. Also if you know of any good restaurants we should go to that would be great as well. We were thinking of renting a car and checking out the Alamo on one of the days, so if you can give us suggestions on places to eat in San Antonio, or even if it is worth the time to drive out there that would be great.

What kind of food do you guys like? There are quite a few great places to eat depending on your tastes. If you're going to see the Alamo, might as well spend some time on the river walk as well. It's right there and there are some fun places to people watch, quench your thirst, or just have a bite to eat.

We will be attending an authentic Texas BBQ on Saturday nite. But we are up for just about anything. We would love to find a good Mexican Restaurant, as those are hard to find here in Boise. Any other local favorites that have regional dishes would be great. My wife loves to go on, "food adventures" where we try foods which are regional specialties or foods from other cultures.

One place I really like in Austin is the Hula Hut near downtown on the lake. Order the pipeline enchiladas. They're my favorite. Matt's El Rancho is always good as well. The Domain in North Austin is full of great bars and restaurants of all kinds to eat at also.

W
Go to LA BBQ or Mickelwaithe Craft Meats for lunch and have Brisket and sides. It will be a much more "authentic" experience than whatever the evening experience is purported to be.

TexMex is actually pretty crappy Mexican food, in my opinion. You can get far better Mexican food 20 miles west of Boise.

Use your Austin time for good BBQ and hanging out on 6th Street.

W
Go to LA BBQ or Mickelwaithe Craft Meats for lunch and have Brisket and sides. It will be a much more "authentic" experience than whatever the evening experience is purported to be.

TexMex is actually pretty crappy Mexican food, in my opinion. You can get far better Mexican food 20 miles west of Boise.

Use your Austin time for good BBQ and hanging out on 6th Street.

If Mickelwaithe Craft Meats is more authentic then a Texas BBQ in someones backyard, then I will make a point to get there for one of our lunches. I agree with you in regards to the standard TexMex beans, rice, and taco dish. Hoping to find some Tacos Al Pastor or Carne Asada.

So I am getting some great suggestions for places to eat, how about things to see. We will have a Friday and Saturday in Austin, and Sunday in and around The Alamo. Then back to Austin to fly out on Monday mid-day.

Jose, what is 6th Street all about? Neither my wife or I are big "shoppers" but enjoy western art, photography, places of cultural significants and history/museums.

Last edited:
Take a long day trip west; Hill Country is wonderful; LBJ Ranch, National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg and Luckenbach (yep that one). In Austin check out Austin City Limits and rub Willie's Statue. Dining look at Lamberts, Moonshine, Ironworks or numerous others. I have not seen Circuit of the Americas (racetrack) but hear its pretty impressive.

6th street is where all the bars
With live music that make the "Austin sound". You can walk up and down the street and choose from dozens of bands, some veteran, some up and coming.

Think : Reckless Kelly, Micky and Motorcars, Ryan Bingham, Robert Rarl Keen, etc...

Been 25 years since I have done 6th street in Austin. Still remember the good times. One of the best evenings of my life!

Good food, music and beer!

We have always liked to eat at Gueros Taco Bar on South Congress then go across the street to the Continental Club for some live music. It's been about 8 years so things may have changed.

Gruene Hall is a must see for live music in my mind but it will depend a lot on what your idea of a fun night out is....

Just checked the schedule and Chris Knight is at Gruene Hall on Feb 10th. If that is a possible date you should do that one! If you enjoy real music and want to have a great night that is a rare opportunity.

Both my wife and I enjoy a wide variety of music and Austin seems like a great place for it. We will have to check out some of the places you guys have suggested. Any suggestions for mid-day activities? We won't be there on the 10th, but I will check to see who, if anyone, is schedule for the Gruene Hall when we are there.

If you have time, go see the missions in San Antonio. The actual missions, not the baseball team, lol! They have recently received a world heritage designation and are full of history. The Riverwalk is very cool, but pretty touristy in my opinion. Still should see it I guess, again, if you have time.
Austin has much better places to eat in my opinion. South Congress has tons of restaurants, but be warned, its full of hippies as is much of Austin! Franklin's BBQ is hard to beat, but there is generally a 4-6 hour wait, so it's not really a great place to go if you are trying to fit a lot into a little time. They're open until they run out, which they have every day since they opened, but the line starts about 6 am every Saturday morning.
New Braunfels is right up the road, and a great place to visit. Gruene Hall is a really cool place, and has free live music every Sunday afternoon. Stop, have a beer, and enjoy some live music in the shade. The Gristmill, Mozie's, and Gruene River Grill are all solid places to eat. The Gristmill is the coolest place ambience wise. Be prepared, the weather is probably going to be hot, as it always is in central Texas. Should be in the 80's, maybe 90's, but who really knows. Enjoy your time here, we Texans are partial to our state.
On kind of a weird note, if you go through New Braunfels stop at FM 306 and go to Buccee's. (New Braunfels is between Austin and San Antonio on I35) It's a huge gas station. Tons of cool stuff inside, and has about 60 gas pumps. pretty impressive place. You can't miss it. Their jerky is really good, but slightly pricey.

You guys have been very helpful. We appreciate all the great information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back