Alaska waterfowl

Cool video. Some duck identification problems for me for sure.

That sequence of the bald eagle swooping towards that duck....how many times did he try to snag a meal?

Cool video. Some duck identification problems for me for sure.

That sequence of the bald eagle swooping towards that duck....how many times did he try to snag a meal?

I had shot that Harlequin and he was belly up until I was about to pick him up in shallow water, then he uprights himself and swims out. Shot him a couple more times but shots are a dinner bell to eagles. There were several attempts by that eagle before I began filming and as soon as I stopped filming an immature eagle timed it just right and plucked him from the water.

Looks like an adventure, very cool video! I assume that a euro-widgeon, or hybrid?

Last edited:
Such a cool trip to do DIY!!

I'd love to pick your brain a little about this. Just the Harlequin and Common Teal would make the trip worth it for me. Have you done this trip previously, or was that your first go?

Thanks for sharing!

Such a cool trip to do DIY!!

I'd love to pick your brain a little about this. Just the Harlequin and Common Teal would make the trip worth it for me. Have you done this trip previously, or was that your first go?

Thanks for sharing!
This was my third trip to Adak, always DIY. First trip was for waterfowl, 2nd was for caribou, and this trip was for both but we have ad no luck with the 'bou. I'll be going back again, God willing.

Back