CWD in Elk

Huntforadventure

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to head out to hunt elk this fall, I have narrowed my options to Colorado and Montana. One thing I noticed in CO was that there has been CWD in many of the units there. Being from the east and in an area without CWD, I was curious how this should affect any of my decisions and if there is anything different I should do if I am lucky enough to harvest an elk in an area with CWD. Thanks for the help.

No. It is no big deal. If an animal looks sick, stay away from it, otherwise, you are fine unless you like eating spinal cord and brains! There are lots of areas that have some CWD, but in my opinion, the danger has been way overblown.

A lot of Eastern states (I know PA for certain because I am from there, not sure about NY) prohibit the importation and transportation of certain elk/deer parts from states where CWD is endemic. These parts usually include brain, spinal, and lymph node tissue. Skull caps are supposed to be clean and free of brain matter and excess tissue. If you were going to have a European mount done, it would probably have to be done out West and shipped home to stay legal.

A lot of Eastern states (I know PA for certain because I am from there, not sure about NY) prohibit the importation and transportation of certain elk/deer parts from states where CWD is endemic. These parts usually include brain, spinal, and lymph node tissue. Skull caps are supposed to be clean and free of brain matter and excess tissue. If you were going to have a European mount done, it would probably have to be done out West and shipped home to stay legal.

That is really not the case at all. All you need to do is scrape the skull good and remove the brain from the skull. A quick, careful washing at a car wash to insure all the matter is removed and you're good to go. I just did an antelope and mule deer in the last two years that way and many people are doing the same thing to take them home for a DIY Euro.

That is really not the case at all. All you need to do is scrape the skull good and remove the brain from the skull. A quick, careful washing at a car wash to insure all the matter is removed and you're good to go. I just did an antelope and mule deer in the last two years that way and many people are doing the same thing to take them home for a DIY Euro.

Straight from the Pennsylvania Game Commission's website regarding cervid parts banned from import:
4) For the purposes of this Order, high-risk parts or materials shall be defined as any parts or materials, derived from cervids, which are known to accumulate abnormal prions. This includes any of the following:
a. Head (including brain, tonsils, eyes, and lymph nodes);
f. Upper canine teeth, if root structure or other soft material is present

I only included the parts that would typically be on a head that would be getting a European mount, but there are other thing as well. Like I said, this is for PA, not NY, but I believe NY may have similar rules. Transport of these parts would be illegal in PA as well as several other states.

So Topgun, that really is the case. If you are going to give a guy advice regarding the legality of something, please make certain you are supported by fact or law, rather than your opinion. Otherwise you might cause someone to get in trouble with the law.

Last edited:
I live in a CWD area in Iowa and I deal with it at work, we are in the very early stages and have about 15 positives in a 20 mile area. CWD has not been transferred to humans or cattle although it is a prion or a protein that has gone rogue like mad cow, scrappies in sheep and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease In humans. Once in the ecosystem it is there. you should not dispose of carcasses from a CWD area into an area without CWD. Tests are available if you are concerned for a small fee or possibly free if you contact biologists in the area. The Ia dnr is testing roadkill and hunter harvested deer in the zone. They are also trying to thin the deer herd in the area and lower the age class. It is spread easier when animals congregate like on winter range or over a bait pile.

Last edited:
MS---You may want to get an interpretation of that statute because the way I read it it sounds like most other states and if you do what I mentioned that it would be legal since all the brain and eye tissue, as well as any external tissue attached to the structure would have been removed. I know that has been the way most states that have laws on CWD base them, so it was not just my opinion! I would also hope that a person would be smart enough to check his state requirements on what he has to do to be legal since not every state may be identical, although most are very similar to what I mentioned

Last edited:
New York is listed as a CWD state due to an outbreak near Utica, NY in 2005. Seven deer there tested positive after a deer farmer either had an escape or allowed the deer to go.

To dispel some misinformation or gray areas....

Most folks know enough not to shoot an animal that is clearly sick. However, based on hunter interviews most animals harvested by hunters that test positive for CWD showed no clinical signs of disease at the time they were shot. If you have the option, I would have the animal tested. Should your animal test positive, your home state may require that you report it to them and they may confiscate the meat from said animal. Depends on the laws in your home state.

As far as transporting an animal back home - laws vary between states but you need to keep in mind that if you are driving, you need to know the law in ALL states you may be transporting an animal through. The most common regulations regarding importation/transport of an animal from a known CWD endemic state include:

-Meat must be boned out.
-Capes/hides should have as much tissue removed as possible.
-Spinal columns are prohibited.
-Heads are prohibited unless they have been thoroughly cleaned - all soft tissue, especially brain material and cranial nerves, removed. A couple of states go so far as to specify that skulls/skull plates must be cleaned AND disinfected (basically completed european mounts only).

If you are driving through multiple states, I would follow the laws in the most restrictive state to be on the safe side.

New York is listed as a CWD state due to an outbreak near Utica, NY in 2005. Seven deer there tested positive after a deer farmer either had an escape or allowed the deer to go.

And therein lies the cause of the problem. Deer/Elk farms are where CWD originated from.

And therein lies the cause of the problem. Deer/Elk farms are where CWD originated from.

I heard that in CO it started up north at a winter feeding area where the state was feeding food with animal products in it. Could be BS, but that version circulated back when all this first started.

Anyone have the scoop?

I do know CWD was brought into Wyoming to study at Sybille and got out from there to surrounding areas. No CWD in Wyoming until animals with it were brought into Sybille Research station . Hey shootbrownelk I see you don't agree with the Wyoming legislature giving equal number of antelope tags to the Women's hunt. Saw your comments on Casper Star page. Giving tags to the One shot men's only hunt and not the Women's hunt, not the equality state I know.

I'm from Kalamazoo and was planning on (hopefully) bringing back an elk and/or antelope this Fall as well, so I found your advice helpful. I've only ever power washed after boiling, so will a power wash alone get it sufficiently clean for MI/IL/IA standards during the trek back to MI? Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back