Caribou Gear

308 elk loads

okie_hotrod

My dad and I are headed to Utah this October chasing elk and I just got him a new Howa 1500 in 308 for his birthday since he didn't have a rifle that would work for the trip. Now I am looking into what we're gonna feed it. I was thinking about staying in the 165-168gr range to get the best mix of velocity and energy and was wondering what you guys are shooting. I reload so if anyone has any load data they'd like to share that would be great. I was thinking Accubonds or Partitions but I'm up for suggestions.
Thanks

You cannot go wrong with an Accubond or Partition. I also really like Barnes TTSX. I have taken 3 cows and a bull with a Barnes bullets in 270 and 300. Very impressed on elk. This year I used a 130 gr Accubond on my mule deer and antelope and they worked great. Each gun is different so you'll have to try them all and see what groups the best.

At .308 velocities, 165 Partitions, Accubonds and Hornady Interlocks will kill any elk there is. Consider Varget, RE15 and maybe CFE223, IMR4064 and IMR 4895 as top contenders for powder and just go kill sh**! :hump: I would not even consider the monos, but that is just me and you will get others that feel differently.

Varget and IMR4064 are two powders my Tikka 308 win. really likes. Barnes 150 gr. TSX and Nosler 165 gr. Accubonds both shoot inside .75" groups at 100 yards. Both will do the job just fine on Elk.

Back