Black powder rifle kits

Carl 9.3x62

Does anyone have any experience with black powder rifle kits, such as the ones made by Traditions? I don't know much about muzzle loader hunting or shooting, but lately have been interested in it, and think that building my own rifle would be quite satisfying, especially if I could hunt with it. Thanks for any advice.

I've built a couple Flintlocks but I can't speak to the quality of traditions. Track of the Wolf has some nice offerings with quality parts. American Longrifles forum has all the information you could ever want and a lot of good builders hang out there as well. http://www.americanlongrifles.com/

I highly recommend the Lyman Great Plains Rifle kit for a ML newby. I built a .54 percussion and it's an awesome rifle. I've killed pronghorn and deer with it to date. It's a fun process, both building and shooting. Like Jim said, Track of the Wolf is great for the various things you might need along the way.

I built one from a kit with my dad when I was 10. I still shoot it and every time I do I remember something about the process. When my kids are a little older I'll build some with them. If you take your time and fit everything well it is a fairly simple process.

I have built a few, they are fun to do, as long as you have a little bit of woodworking skill it is pretty easy. good luck!

Any preference to percussion vs flintlock?

I'm a flintlock guy, always have been but I do own 1 Hawken percussion that I inherited. It depends on your motivation. I like flintlocks for the historical period they represent. They require a certain commitment to detail but I've found them to be reliable once you understand the do's and don'ts of using one. Unless you just want to own a flintlock for it's own sake though, I'd probably look to percussion for all around hunting use.

I have two flintlock T/C Hawkens that I built from kits so my father-in-law and I could muzzy hunt together. I wish one were a percussion. The flintlocks are fun, but I actually wore the casehardening off the frizzen on both. Frizzens are about $11-12, though I saw a YouTube video of someone casehardening with a propane torch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back