Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wall Tent?

I looked at the Reliable Tent companies tents over the weekend, what do you guy have for input regarding sewn in floor or a snap in floor that they offer has anyone ever used the snap type floor?

I have a 10x14 with a sewn in floor from Edwards Canvas in OK. It has always been perfect for 3 with a stove or cooking station. It will sleep 4 people on cots, but you have no stove or place to set up a cook station. The sewn in floor is heavy so the tent is really only good for truck camping but it sure is nice to be dry inside all of the time regardless.

No floor in ours.

The wood stove quickly drys the ground out.

I have put 6mm black plastic down under the cot area just to keep socks and such clean while climbing in and out of the sleeping bag

A 12 X 16 minimum. Mine is 12 X 17.5. I also use a 10 X 12 attached to the front of the larger tent, for a kitchen. Perfect for 3 to 4 people for as long as you want. A good wood stove in the sleeping tentElkberry Creek Camp 2001.jpgIMG_5068.jpg A 12 X 17.5 will give you room for 3 cots, I use roll a cots, a table, again a roll a table, a wood stove, I use the Kwik Kamp wood burning camp stove, excellent stove, and a couple of chairs. An awning out front will extend your comfort greatly. A floor is not needed, a tarp works great. Go as big as possible. Over the years you will be glad you did.

I looked at the Reliable Tent companies tents over the weekend, what do you guy have for input regarding sewn in floor or a snap in floor that they offer has anyone ever used the snap type floor?

I've not had a floor in my wall tents, ever. Always used a painters cloth, thin type outdoor carpet and tarps (not recommended if other choices are available). I stayed in a floored tent a few times and it was fine as well. Good however it goes, IMO.
Painters cloth - I would take over any of the floors I have tried and I believe I would take that over the floored tents. Last I would take would be the permanent floor. If I was in the market for a floored tent it would at least be one I could remove.

Last edited:
wall tent

We use one 14 x 16 tent for sleeping in and one 14 x 16 for living space, cooking, and if the weather is nice enough we cook under the awning, makes a huge tent but well worth it if you have numerous people in camp

Attachments

• Elk Hunts  2012 022.jpg
    Elk Hunts 2012 022.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,080
Op. Do some math... Cots are 6 feet long. 20-24" wide. You want 3 of them?

What else are you going to do in the tent? Get dressed? Store gear? Sit and eat meals? Drink beer and bullshit? Use it in September when days are long, or in November,beer when days are short and you are in the tent for 4-5 hours before falling asleep?

Honestly? Take some masking tape on your living floor and Mark out a 10x12 area. Now, throw three sleeping bags on the floor. Arrange them so you can get into the bags without stepping on bags.

Throw 3 gear bags in the taped area. Going to have a wood stove? Put a case of water in that corner, then put a 2' clearance around it.

Now get all 3 of you to sit there all evening, eating meals and talking for 5 hours.

See what size feels right.

Do this^ But don't forget to put a couple more cases of water to simulate the "in case of snow" wood pile. Having a day's worth inside at all times is awfully nice compared to a pile covered by tarp just outside the door (which is acceptable, just not as nice) Any choice must be influenced by two things, are you to be truck camping or pack in camping? If truck camping ALWAYS OPT BIGGER! Remember if you get a nice camp and pack stock you suddenly develop more friends than you knew you had just previously...

We are currently using a 16x16 wall tent (half of a GP medium cut down) with a GI pot belly stove and have plenty of room for 4 big boy cots, our stuff and a wood pile. We have a large heavy duty tarp that we create an outdoor kitchen off of the front of the tent. If you are going to be camping in an area with an ample wood supply (tons of blow down and standing dead where we go) then I would say a wood stove is the only way to do. Don't have to worry about malfunctions, have heat as long as you are there and no worry with CO or condensation. The other tent in our camp tried propane for a few years and then finally changed over last year. They were over the moon with the change.

I'd go 14x16. I purchased my first wall tent, a 16x20 Davis, and have used it on two long hunts now. Once with 4 guys, once with only 2 men. It is definitely more than enough room for 2 guys, but we can set it up rather easily with just two guys. I used a larger Mr. Buddy heater on a 20lb tank and it does well in there, I just crack a few windows.

The bigger the better, IMO.

A 12x14 works for two but if more than two we put up another and have a cook/meeting tent and a sleeping tent. For the floor we use the thinnest outdoor carpet that looks like grass for the floor. Water/snowmelt soaks through it and it drys fast. It is also very light and takes up little room.
Camp

Back 1/2 of cook tent

Front/kitchen

I just talked to Chris at davis tent and he along with all your help have helped me decide on the 12x14 with a window in the back. One thing he suggested was a 3/4 floor so the stove and boots would be on the dirt? That's what he does in his personal tent. Thank you for all your suggestions and pics.

DSCN0348.jpg

I have the 12x12 Alanak and my buddy has the 12x20 Alanak and both are excellent. The 12x12 is perfect for two grown men on cots with gear with a wood stove. Three can work but not quite as comfortable. The 12x20 is perfect for 4 hunters with cots and gear but it is much heavier and you need more space to set it up.

Like I said, we are currently using a GP Medium cut down and re-sown to 16x16. Prior to that we were in a GP small. They both work fine and are pretty good value for the money (good ones can be had in the 3-500 range) but are heavy and a good deal more difficult to put up. The newer frame tents are awesome but the frames are heavy(whole package is around #200) and they are in the same price range as a nice wall tent with all of the extras. Hope that helps. Here are some pics of the GP small.

Attachments

• GEDC1113.JPG
    GEDC1113.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 513
  • GEDC1116.JPG
    GEDC1116.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 510
  • GEDC1126.JPG
    GEDC1126.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 520
  • GEDC0880.JPG
    GEDC0880.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 510
  • GEDC0881.JPG
    GEDC0881.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 503
  • GEDC0884.JPG
    GEDC0884.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 502
  • GEDC0886.JPG
    GEDC0886.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 501
I used a 14' x 16' Reliable brand Wall Tent for years, with a 10' awning out the front, it worked out okay, and gave me enough room to cook too.
but father time is sneaking up on me, and last year I built a 27' Cargo Trailer into a RV, it is much more comfortable, with not much setup time.
IMG_0748.JPGIMG_0751.JPGIMG_0754.JPG

Kevin

Sleeping room with cots is one factor to think about but if the weather turns off bad or having room for a camp kitchen is nice also. I have a 14 X 16 Davis tent that I love. It will sleep 4 comfortably or 3 with a camp kitchen.

I used a 10*12 Montana Canvas and would only put 3 in it if I was not using the stove. Maybe a Mr. Buddy would be different, but for 2 big guys it was perfect. I had a separate tent for food and cooking. Bigger is better in this case for us.

anyone out there use military tents. pros/cons

I lived in a 10 man arctic tent for a winter in NV. They work great but are super heavy to setup by yourself. They have a liner that minimizes moisture build up. They are good valve. It was made in the 1950s. I still prefer a good canvas wall tent and wood stove, with a rain fly.

camp.jpg
I got the Alanak cabela's tent is a 12x12 with a stove, it was a screaming deal I couldn't pass up on it. My wife and I had plenty of room in it, I love it. My first time setting it up only took 25-30mins, the setup isn't to hard and break down is very easy. It also came in a nice big nylon bag for easy storage. I can't wait to take it out again. There are some youtube videos on these type of tents too. Best of luck to you.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back