Gear advice from experienced elk hunters

nwihunter

I'm planning my first western hunt for this year and this will be my second post looking for advice from those with experience. I will be hunting solo archery elk in Colorado. My first question has to do with quivers. I never shoot with my quiver on when I am tree stand hunting for Midwest whitetails. just don't like the feel of it. What are some of the options for hunting with the bow strapped to the pack ? Do I leave the quiver on my bow while stalking and remove it to set up for a shot or is there another style of quiver that works better for this style of hunting. The second question had to do with bear spray. Do guys carry it when in black bear country or is it something that guys only carry in grizzly country ? Probably dumb questions to guys that have experience but I'm just trying to shorten my learning curve as much as I can before I get into the back country..

Thanks in advance for any info. I got a lot of great advice with my first post.

I would practice shooting with the quiver on the bow. You never know when you might get a shot so having the quiver on the bow will be the fastest way to get off a shot.

I always have a pistol or both spray and pistol with me when archery hunting. Most of the time just a pistol. You can get away with a lighter caliber for black bears than grizzlies. I don't worry about black bears too much, but having either will give you piece of mind.

I personally use a quick detach hoyt quiver. I practice with it on and off, but I almost always take it off when closing the distance on a bull or setting up in a calling situation. This might just be a hang up of mine, but it's a routine right before the moment of truth. If you go this route just don't set it down in the heat of battle and forget where you put it!

I always carry bear spray when hunting solo or in grizzly country, and on occasion i'll take a revolver, more for backup. I'd go for the spray first. A good buddy of mine was charged by a large black bear boar this fall. The bear came in down wind, knew what he was, and came right at him. Pistol in one hand bear spray in the other, he shot the pistol in the air and the bear whirled and headed out at very close range. This is a rare encounter but you never know.

I would practice shooting with the quiver attached to your bow. It's rare, but there is always the chance you might miss with your first shot but get a chance at a second shot if you're quick. As for bear spray, I never bother with it here in Colorado. The vast majority of the bear problems here occur near campgrounds with food habituated bears when people are improperly storing their food.

Last fall was my 20th hunting elk in colo. I too agree with the shooting your bow with the quiver on if possible, otherwise look at a catquiver or the like. Im a tradtional archer so the quiver on my silvertip doesnt really add to the weight much, as far as bears, i usually pack my 10mm with me, but leave it in my tent at spike camp, its lighter over my 629 44 but as I drag my 48 yr old flatland ass up the mountain if i dont have to have it it stays in my tent.

I would practice shooting with the quiver attached to your bow. It's rare, but there is always the chance you might miss with your first shot but get a chance at a second shot if you're quick. As for bear spray, I never bother with it here in Colorado. The vast majority of the bear problems here occur near campgrounds with food habituated bears when people are improperly storing their food.

This! Because that's about what happened with me this year. I shot my bull and hit right at the crease of the shoulder and got barely any penetration. I grabbed for another arrow while cow calling and he stopped at 60 and i put another one in him that did the job. I never stand hunt with my quiver on back home but found shooting with it on out west i pay no attention to it at all. I really should practice with it on some though just to be sure.

I agree with most, practice with the quiver on. Being prepared for that a second shot is a big deal and you might have to move around in your setup a bit. I almost always leave my on, its just one less thing to worry about and I practice with it so its no big deal. I live and hunt in griz country so I usually feel naked without bear spray, whether griz are around or not. I'd throw a canister in your pack. If you see a bear, you'll probably be happy you have it although the probability of anything bad happening with a black bear is near 0. Pistols are heavy and, given an option between bear spray and a pistol, I'd take the bear spray any day.

I've always used a quiver on my bow, and rarely take it off. Even in a treestand here in Indiana. A couple years ago I got a Tight Spot quiver and it is a really good design. Can be tucked tight into the bow, and is very adjustable. The other comments about followup shots, and being ready when you least expect it are spot on. I've shot several critters that I didn't know existed as I was working into a spot, or while hiking in or out of an area. Never would have gotten them without quick access to arrows.

Most of my archery elk hunting has been in Montana and I only carry bear spray in grizzly country.

Jeremy

I rode my quiver on the side of my pack. I could easily grab an arrow with my pack on, as well. This worked way better for me than keeping it on my bow. This is when I hunt out West.

When stand hunting, I tie it to the trunk of the tree I'm in.

Last edited:
I've always used a bow quiver attached to my bow. I could see the benefit of removing it if all you do is stand hunt but for western hunting you really want to tune your bow with the quiver attached and full of arrows.

I only ever carry bear spray in grizzly country. Black bears are less dangerous than the elk you will be hunting probably.

I killed a bull in Colorado in 2016, I hate shooting with quiver on. But I had not one second to remove it. I had stumbled into a bull bedded as I came over the top, grabbed a arrow hit him with the rangefinder and he spooked, was able to stop him as I grabbed an arrow and drew.
Practice for these encounters, It was what made my hunt successful.

I've never taken my quiver off unless I'm on a wallow or tank I know they're hitting.

Reading some of these reminds of an incident I had. Last morning of the season. We're chasing bulls, already had one pop out into a meadow. Before we got to the meadow I was glassing the scrub oak. Saw a few cows and a monster 7x7 200 yards ahead. My partner only had his bow, his license, rangefinder and a bottle of water. I set my bow down take off my bino harness so he can see. He can't find em...cant find em...look down and a 6x6 pops into the meadow. Broadside. Grab my bow, draw, get on him and spooks. 2 seconds from releasing. Partner asks, how far do you think he was. I said 60. He ranges it...57. I know.

45 minutes later chasing more bulls...I'm the caller and in front. We think they're close. Partner who was 50 yards or so behind walks up and says, " I know this probably isn't the best time"...then shows me the back of his left calf. He's a right handed shot. He had an arrow nocked, tripped and somehow put a 1-1/2" wide gash into the back of his left calf. No first aid on him. No knives to cut something for a tourniquet. Luckily I had all that on me as a prepared hunter.

Major facepalm.

Anyway, to answer your question. I might hike 6 miles in a morning. Always carry my bow as much as a pain as it is. Because you never know when you'll stumble on something. You will rarely have time to get your bow out of the sling, remove the rest, nock an arrow, range, draw, shoot. All while you're down wind and you have a clear broadside shot. It is nothing like whitetail. Oh, and get ya some good Merino base. Burn any under armour you may have. It's terrible.

I second the tight spot quiver. They aren't cheap, but I don't even notice it anymore. Practice all summer with it on.

Spot on, great advice!!!

Thanks for the info guys. I've bow hunted for 35 years and have only taken probably a few dozen practice shots with a quiver on in all of that time. Always take it off as soon as I get in my tree stand. As soon as I get my bow back from getting custom strings on it I will start practicing with in on. I have a Hoyt quick release quiver on my bow that I do like. I guess its something I'll just have to get used to.

I would recommend you practice with your quiver on and shoot the arrows as you pull them from the quiver. See if it affects your groups vs shooting without the quiver. The Tight spot is an awesome quiver and worth the $$$.

I took my quiver off once. 15 minutes later after I moved forward on the bull again my dad walked up to me and handed me back the quiver I'd left at the first spot..............you may not have the attention span of a chipmunk like me, but you can get distracted by bugling bulls.

Tight spot for the win.

Tight spot for me as well. I try to always shoot the first arrow with 4 in the quiver. As for bear spray it never leaves my belt. I have a .44 Ruger Vaquero but have never packed it or any other hand gun. I can't say I have enough proficiency with a handgun to hit a charging bear anyway.

I use a Tightspot and always have my quiver off when set up. I carry a pistol in bear country, but spray isn't a bad option. I have had my fair share of black bear run ins

You will rarely have time to get your bow out of the sling, remove the rest, nock an arrow, range, draw, shoot. All while you're down wind and you have a clear broadside shot. It is nothing like whitetail.

Oh, and get ya some good Merino base.

Good advice here

...I'm the caller and in front. We think they're close. Partner who was 50 yards or so behind...

I disagree with this one. I think the caller should behind the shooter. This makes the elk look past the shooter, looking for the cow. From behind, the caller can also relocate to draw the elk past the shooter. IMO

Hit the nail on the head with it's not like Whitetail. Get ready to walk! Do your research; where people are....elk aren't.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back