Caribou Gear Tarp

Opportunity For Action Nominations for Jan 25

JoseCuervo

Going to try something (until Big Fin shuts me down), but let's see how far this goes.

In order to encourage more civic engagement, and more involvement in the issues that affect Public Lands, I am now accepting Nominations for next week's Opportunity For Action to save our Public Lands.

What I need from you, is a nomination/suggestion on an issue that needs public officials called/emailed for next Wednesday. (and subsequent Wednesdays.) The more information the better, but we can track down phone numbers or emails, as needed.

My goal, and hopefully other's goal, is that a grassroots phone tree/campaign starts, where people start picking up the phone and calling knuckle-headed, anti-hunting politicians that want to threaten our Public Lands. (We can also nominate people who need support for pro-Public Land issues.)

The first one generated 3 calls that I know of, and, if you still want to call the more calls the better, here is the link:

https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?273343-Opportunity-for-Action-in-Idaho-SnakeOil-Salesman-from-UT-Has-a-Bill-Sponsor-IDLeg

At this point, I will be the sole chooser of the week's actions, but as the fair, unbiased arbiter that I am, everyone should be good with that.

So, with that said, who needs their phone range next Wednesday?? Tell me who, and tell me why.

You could consider props, also. For instance, as much as I can't stand Republicans I almost called Cory Gardner and told him that I appreciated his vote on the House Rules: https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...e-Rules-What-you-can-do&p=2574344#post2574344

Taking a stand against a move designed to grease one's own party platform for PLT? Well, that takes a little sand. If he felt like it was appreciated by good, God Fearing Republican constituents then he might spread the word to his colleagues that it might be safer than they think to tell the PLT crowd to FO.

Needs to be timely, and looking forward. But any items should be considered.

Hopefully we can get a list, and hopefully we can get people engaged.

Shoot me an e-mail. BHA Idaho has some similar plans and we have already taken a few first steps to get the ball rolling but are looking for people to help. [email protected]

Hopefully Bears Ears goes away quickly. If not I'll suggest a plan B to lobby legislators.

Require the management plan for Prez O's new monuments to include historic management practices which benefit wildlife and the lands.
- Development/Repair of water sources
- Chaining/Burning
- Predator Management
- Grazing
- Invasive Species
- Access Management

Good luck. Great idea to focus on something all sportsman would get behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for taking action.

I'll suggest a week of focus on opposition to Pruitt as head of EPA, the same agency he has always opposed and is now suing. Tolerance of conflict of interest is not the change sportsmen expect from Washington. This poison pill nominee is the most direct personification of the new administration's first order of attacking the environment; to industrialize public lands @ the expense of wildlife, the environment, and sportsmen/women. Pressure on Senators to reject this former oil/gas attorney is strongly encouraged.

You could consider props, also. For instance, as much as I can't stand Republicans I almost called Cory Gardner and told him that I appreciated his vote on the House Rules: https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...e-Rules-What-you-can-do&p=2574344#post2574344

Taking a stand against a move designed to grease one's own party platform for PLT? Well, that takes a little sand. If he felt like it was appreciated by good, God Fearing Republican constituents then he might spread the word to his colleagues that it might be safer than they think to tell the PLT crowd to FO.

Thanks for the heads up. I just emailed Mr. Gardner as a constituent, thanked him for opposing the party line on this issue, and encouraged his opposition to Pruitt for head of EPA. I sent edited version of same to Mr. Bennett.

I don't want to discourage national action, but I'm thinking we might be better off focusing on smaller targets.

Focus on influencing those who are scared for their jobs. Congressman, state legislators, governors, and county commissioners. People who might actually answer their phone, or be scared when their phone starts ringing.

As we proved in week one, 4or 5 phone calls rattles an old man who thinks he is invincible

Imagine if there was 10, 20, 40, 50 calls? These guys have never had their phone ring.

These guys are easy to influence, they are cheap. In Idaho, for a couple hundred bucks, you can get a lunch with any legislator. 45 minutes of eating crappy cafeteria food in the state capital.

I would think similar in Montana, Wyoming, etc.

Any local nominations for this coming week?

No idea on Pruitt confirmation timing. 2 days ago I got encouraged by the National Wildlife Federation to contact Senators to oppose Pruitt. NWF wrote they have never opposed a Cabinet nominee until now. He's that bad. Suggest calling/writing your Senators to reject this poison pill.

Senor Cuervo, I'll support any direction you choose week by week. Vamanos, muchachos!

I like the idea of calling county commissioners.
Not a nomination but if you would like an occasional laugh subscribe to the Owyhee Co Facebook page.

No idea on Pruitt confirmation timing. 2 days ago I got encouraged by the National Wildlife Federation to contact Senators to oppose Pruitt. NWF wrote they have never opposed a Cabinet nominee until now. He's that bad. Suggest calling/writing your Senators to reject this poison pill.

Senor Cuervo, I'll support any direction you choose week by week. Vamanos, muchachos!

I will see if I can track down the schedule for the confirmation hearings. And see what senator should be targeted.

I like the idea of calling county commissioners.
Not a nomination but if you would like an occasional laugh subscribe to the Owyhee Co Facebook page.

County commissioners need to be put on notice only because they were the ones that first gave Ken Ivory his start. It was the County commissioners in Idaho and Utah that voted to fund him. Well, them and the Koch Brothers.

Back