Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2017 Pronghorn Unit 68 Questions

Looking at the nonresident special draw odds, 68 may not be a sure thing of drawing in 2017 due to point creep.

Draw odds over the last few years:
2014 - 25% with 2 points
2015 - 47% with 4 points
2016 - 80% with 5 points

I cant give you any advice on the specific area though.

Looking at the nonresident special draw odds, 68 may not be a sure thing of drawing in 2017 due to point creep.

Draw odds over the last few years:
2014 - 25% with 2 points
2015 - 47% with 4 points
2016 - 80% with 5 points

I cant give you any advice on the specific area though.

I think you are right. I'd guess not everyone who applies with 6 points this year will draw. I started out 5 years ago shooting for 68. With 5 points now, I'm considering bailing. I expect another 5 year wait to draw unless there is a significant increase in tag numbers. That's a long time to wait for an antelope when there are so many other great units. Then again, I may as well take advantage of the 0 point units every year while they still exist and keep building points. Point creep is a beeotch.

Nice bucks, that second one's got some pipes. 68 would be a fun one. I've hunted right next door, lots of antelope. Lots of good units in WY. My son and I cashed in with less points than that last year (regular priced draw) and hunted a unit where we saw around 20 B&C worthy goats.

In 2016, the quota was 8 at the 5 point pool and 10 applied, leaving only 2 apps for the 6 point pool in 2017.

Loose lips sink ships

I hunted the area a few years back and I did see a few rattle snakes during rifle season. They were sunning themselves on a two track.

Lots of public land in 68. Lots of antelope also. You probably won't need a GPS, but it wouldn't hurt to have one. The Split Rock Ranch does have some decent chunks of private in there , if memory serves me right.

Loose lips seems to be for everything wyoming has to offer.Just a few years ago elk tags were easier,antelope tags were real easy,and only but a few deer tags took any amount of points.I love hunting there but after I use up my points I think it's going to take awhile till I can get back to hunt unfortunately. I may have to move there

Go late season if youhate snakes like me. Hunted 67 and it was hot and rattlers . Were everywhere

What's really creepy is when you walk through tall sage and come face to face with one!

Loose lips seems to be for everything wyoming has to offer.Just a few years ago elk tags were easier,antelope tags were real easy,and only but a few deer tags took any amount of points.I love hunting there but after I use up my points I think it's going to take awhile till I can get back to hunt unfortunately. I may have to move there

As other states became more difficult to get tags in Wyoming saw an increase in interest. Couple that with tag cuts from the last bad winter that have not been undone and you have what you see now. Unfortunately, just as there was talk of tag increases, another bad winter has arrived. I doubt we will see any increases now.

68 is a good unit overall with a lot of goats just like many units in Wyo. Not a lot of services out there so plan accordingly (Muddy Gap has a gas station), I wouldn't worry about snakes. The last 2 years winters have been good and spring and summer have been above average but I'm not sure how this winter is going to pan out there has been some brutal cold snaps and quite a bit of snow. So far this winter I would say we are going to have more winter kill than the last few years but it is still early.
Hope you draw the tag it's a fun area, also the reservoirs are great fishing as well.

I would not count on drawing with 5.5 points. Did 68 have a tag reduction? That will create more pressure on 68 tags available for non-residents.

I have several friends jumping out of the Point Saver mentality and burning max deer points this year and pronghorn points. The winter kill left some mature bucks but with loss of last year's fawns and fewer fawns this year then this could well be the best WY deer and pronghorn year for the next 5 years. WY keeps rattling sabers about increasing cost for points and reducing allotment for non-residents. Is a good year to bail and burn. That will cause point creep as will reduced tags overall in alternative units so target those better units with less winter kill.

Point creep will be significant this year for pronghorn and deer.

Another reason for the in the difficulty to get tags is several years ago WY moved the application deadline from Mar to May allowing those that did not get a tag somewhere else ample time to apply for WY.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back