PEAX Equipment

Big Fin?

tmvikings

What is the max range that you feel comfortable shooting at Elk-Deer-Antelope-Ext? Seems to me you always use a 308, or do you switch it up depending on what game you are after. On the show before a shot a Nosler pop up comes on the screen is that just a recommendation for the caliber and bullet, or is that what is being used?
Thanks for your time - Really enjoy watching a show that's about a REAL as it gets! Thanks again

Yes, the overlay graphic explains what is being used. As for range the furthest I've shot an elk with my .308 Win is 342 yards. I would be very comfortable with that cartridge on elk out to my personal talent range, 400 yards.

I do switch it up some. You will see a 7mm-.08 in some episodes filmed this year. A guest hunter used a .338Win on a hunt this year.

As for ranges, it is all dependent on conditions, shooting rest, animal posture, and my own "I've got this feeling." I've taken animals at some rather long distances on the show, but we dont say how far it waa as that is really not important. We've also passed more animals at even closer distance because of the factors mentioned above. We try to avoid the distance discussion, knowing it detracts from our message.

Summarily, I'm comfortable shooting any species we hunt when using my .308Win out to any distance my personal talent allows, with my talent being the constricting factor.

Thanks for the reply. Last night after I posting I watched a episode where you lashed out on people who have an animal at 650 yards then move back another 100 yards just to get there personal best. I totally agree that that's not what hunting is about. When I go out west it seems like most shots are 300 yards and in anyway. IF Howa made the rifle you use in 300 win mag would you use that over the 308, or do you have another personal favorite you would choose?
Thanks
Troy

I have a Howa model 1500 in a .300 Win Mag. I would not want that cartridge in a lightweight rifle.

Even with the model 1500 that I have in both a .308 and .300 WM, I use the .308 most the time. It's my favorite cartridge and far more capable than I am. I have boxes of .300 WM ammo I'm likely to never use, due to my preference for short action cartridges.

I have a Howa model 1500 in a .300 Win Mag. I would not want that cartridge in a lightweight rifle.

Even with the model 1500 that I have in both a .308 and .300 WM, I use the .308 most the time. It's my favorite cartridge and far more capable than I am. I have boxes of .300 WM ammo I'm likely to never use, due to my preference for short action cartridges.

Big Fin, I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .300 win mag. I would be more than happy to help you get rid of your .300 WM AMMO. Im shootin Nosler 180 grain Accubond so its a perfect fit! Haha

I'd even take some of that "unwanted" .300 ammo! I have a TC ProHunter in that caliber and plan on getting back out somewhere to put it to use. Using a "Newberg round" would be cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back