MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Lead ammo ban on public lands

Jose, you obviously don't know me, or what I think about, and as far as our kids and grandkids, it's our job to keep them safe as their parents and grandparents, not the govt. - educate, not regulate - My dad didn't know the dangers of lead. I do and wouldn't let my kids chew on sinkers. That said I honestly don't think closing a split shot with their teeth or eating a deer harvested with a lead bullet is going to shorten their lifespan. There are far worse things out there. Carry on.

Non-political question:

How can I find out the areas where lead may be banned? I'm planning a Colorado hunt this year and need to know if I need to use a copper bullet for my CDS Leupold scope. Sucks cause I was planning on using the Accubond.

Non-political question:

How can I find out the areas where lead may be banned? I'm planning a Colorado hunt this year and need to know if I need to use a copper bullet for my CDS Leupold scope. Sucks cause I was planning on using the Accubond.

The link on the first page is a good start, it discusses the action and timeliness. The action, if effective immediately impacts FWS lands so the quick and dirty test would be if you plan on hunting them.

The link on the first page is a good start, it discusses the action and timeliness. The action, if effective immediately impacts FWS lands so the quick and dirty test would be if you plan on hunting them.

So pretty much any federal land could be included. Guess e-tip it is!

Is what regulations from a "bunch of suits" are all about is keeping YOUR kids, and my kids alive, keeping YOUR grandkids and my grandkids alive, keeping YOUR great-grandkids and my great-grandkids alive.

Nope, they are far, far more concerned about the birds and the birds' grandbabies than they are about any of our kids. I grew up in condor country, this is very well known out there...

No, there is a big difference is US Fish and Wildlife Service lands and BLM or US Forest Service lands. I think the proposal would not take effect for a few years.

That said, the E-tip is an elk killing bullet.

Actually no, if you go back to the very beginning of this thread and read the link to the ruling itself plus the next comment down by Ben Lamb it is much more than likely that anywhere you are going to hunt in CO it doesn't apply. There's very little big game hunting out here on FWS lands (National Wildlife Refuges) and what hunting there is has very specific rules that are given to you before you can hunt. (Baca, Arapahoe, others I'm sure by special application) Almost all hunting in CO is USFS or BLM which is not included at this time. Remember, in CO it's your responsibility to know what land you are hunting on, they take private land real serious. No need for posting or fences. Good luck.

Non-political question:

The timeline if this was to actually be implemented is five years, and as others have pointed out, it only applies to National Wildlife Refuges and Waterfowl Production Areas. However, this is a Director's Order signed at the 11th hour. Whoever the new director ends up being might just throw it out. Or, as outlined in the order, if no action is taken by sometime in 2018, It expires and goes away. The Service is in wait and see mode for the foreseeable future on this. Don't expect new regulations to be enforced any time soon.

Bambistew made me curious about just how much USFWS land there is in AK. Here's a good map (scroll down to page 3 and rotate clockwise):
https://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr500/appendices.pdf

So 85,000,000 acres (about half as much as the "USFS" manages) is confusing? I'm guessing you're from CO? There are refuges here that are bigger than all the "USFS" lands in CO combined. And would venture to say there is more land managed by USFWS in Alaska than in CO, WY, ID, MT. UT, and NV combined... so its sort of a big deal.

In Alaska there is about 75,000,000 acres of land managed by the USFWS. There is a ton of hunting done on these lands by everyone, lcoals and NR alike. If you want to hunt caribou, odds are it will be on USFWS lands, and you have about a 50% chance of hunting sheep on those same lands.... I realize this has basically no impact on hunting and fishing... the issue is running policy through with the stroke of a pen. This time is "lead," next time it could just as well be archery hunting, who knows... Actually the last time it was banning certain types of predator hunting on lands managed by USFWS in Alaska. So ya know, no big deal.

One federal agency tends to follow another with policy...

I only said there was some confusion. I didn't say it wasn't a big deal. Why the defensive attitude?

Not defensive, just kind of like a Texan, never missing an opportunity to get some braggin' in. ;-)

In theory, I would like to support switching to copper over lead for rifle ammo. In reality, the performance isn't there yet. It's like an electric car vs gas...you can't get the same power. The e-tip may be a decent bullet, but when compared to a Berger or ELD-X you get a lower BC and have to drop bullet weight. For example, my 6.5x284 with 143gr ELD-X is great on elk...the e-tip isn't available any larger than 120gr. The BC of the e-tip is .497 vs .623 for the ELD-x...fairly substantial drop.

In theory, I would like to support switching to copper over lead for rifle ammo. In reality, the performance isn't there yet. It's like an electric car vs gas...you can't get the same power. The e-tip may be a decent bullet, but when compared to a Berger or ELD-X you get a lower BC and have to drop bullet weight. For example, my 6.5x284 with 143gr ELD-X is great on elk...the e-tip isn't available any larger than 120gr. The BC of the e-tip is .497 vs .623 for the ELD-x...fairly substantial drop.

Substantial? My calculators with average loads show about 3 inches of difference in drop at 500.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back