suggestions for first timers planning their hunts

VAspeedgoat

I was talking with a friend who is trying to plan a hunt this fall. Just like I'm sure all of you have seen he is getting frustrated with some of the guys who "want" to go along. So for some good friendly advise to some of our nee members I thought we could share some of our lessons we have learned or things others should know in the beginning stages of planning a trip. I figure some can be thoughtful advise while others can be funny or even a little salty

Mine is always figure a third to half of the guys who say they are going will back out. Some for money, some because they never talked to their spouse, and others never really thought you were serious.

Also do a little research on your own before you ask a question, call game departments or even look on here for older threads about the same thing.

Pay attention to the locals, they may resent you being there and wish you were gone but they likely know more than you about important things like weather and terrain.

If you invite someone new on a hunt and he turns into a whiny punk who is worthless in camp and a nuisance in the field he is your responsibility, not the responsibility of other hunters in camp.

I have had some good hunting partners over the years and have also met some great guys while afield. Overall, I have preferred solo hunts, as I have only myself to worry about/blame. I have had several acquaintances/friends that expressed an interest in going with me, as I have been pretty successful on most of my hunts, but I am getting far less tolerant of stupid stuff as I get older, so I am pretty picky for the most part.

Local people are a great help and to me, half the hunt is visiting with the loggers, ranchers and whoever else that I encounter in the bar. I grew up on a cattle ranch, so it is real easy for me to talk to ranchers and have totally enjoyed that part of the hunting over the years. It is amazing how much info some home-made jerky and summer sausage, and just, plain courtesy and concern will get you.

I know that there are lots of easterners that want to head west on their first hunts. All that I can say to that, is try to learn what goes on out here and do not bring a foreign attitude with you to the field. If you want to turn off a rancher, just act like a stereotypical easterner.

If you are headed west, make sure that you are in decent enough shape to pursue the animal that you are after, otherwise do not complain. The western lands can be rather intimidating to someone who grew up in the closed-in forests of the east.

As was stated earlier, peruse the Game and Fish sites before asking questions of others. Try to get as familiar with what you are doing as possible, so as to at least make the impression that you have made an attempt to do your homework.

Make sure that if you are going west for a hunt, that you have adequate gear for the trip that you are making. Lots of gear can get pretty expensive and there is gear that is good enough for a trip or two. Optics need to be totally reliable, everything else can be compromised on to an extent.

The list of things for a first-timer can go on and on, but these are just few that pop into my radar.

Back